This modern figure by Miss Sonia Newton of Dunsford represents Henry VII - Henry had visited Exeter in 1497 to thank the city for its support during the rebellion of Perkin Warbeck. He presented his sword and cap of maintenance to the city which are now held in the Guildhall.
Eastgate was the main gate from the east in Roman times before the Southgate became the main entry. William the Conqueror entered the city in 1068 after an 18 day siege through the Eastgate. And it was from the Eastgate, that Perkin Warbeck was beaten back. The underground passages that carried water from St Sidwell's into the city ran across the front of the Eastgate and can still be visited.
Eastgate was demolished in 1784 and the original stone statue of Henry VII moved to a recess over Rowe and Sons in the High Street. It was lost in the blitz of 1942.
This statue was made by Sonia Newton in the early 1950's out of fibreglass. Since the demolition of Eastgate House, the statue has been removed and stored at Belle Isle. The new Princesshay has not seen the statue replaced.
Henry VII on his packing case sarcophagus. The statue on Eastgate House in 2005.
│ Top of Page │