Page updated 11th August 2014
Situated on the edge of the Norman motte of Rougemont Castle, at the top of Upper Paul Street, the Arts Centre has become an important part of Exeter's cultural life. The building was built, at a cost of £15,000, in 1911 for the University College of the South West. When the University moved up to its present site in 1955, the building remained in use, housing the Law Facility until beyond 1967.
It eventually became the Arts Centre. The centre had a major refit in 1999 with funds from the National Lottery. It now has two galleries, four workshop studios, a performance theatre and café and bar. There are regular drama, dance and arts courses in the studios. Over the entrance is a fine Phoenix Bird that flaps its wings on the hour – see Phoenix Automaton
│ Top of Page │