The first Deller's Cafe in Exeter opened in the old Exeter Bank premises, adjacent to the Royal Clarence Hotel, on the corner, in 1905.
The interior of Deller's Cafe in Cathedral Yard in 1914.
Deller's Cafe was built in 1916 over, and adjacent to, Lloyds Bank, which was on the corner of the High Street and Bedford Street. Deller's entrance was from Bedford Street.
The grand, Baroque scrolled entrance pediment, beneath which were two reclining sculpted female figures over columns, on either side of the door. A suitable entrance for a magical interior.
The area for the orchestra on the floor of the cafe. The gallery where diners could sip afternoon tea while entertained by 'Gwen Master and her Orchestra' surrounded the main floor.
Looking down onto the main floor from the gallery.
The dining room.
The luncheon room.
Deller's grand staircase to the gallery.
A colour postcard from 1920 showing the interior of Deller's. A note on the back stated "What do you think of this palace".
Deller's was the place to go for special celebrations and events. Left is a ticket for a Grand Flannel Dance held in August 1931. Right, is a lady dressed as Sheba, ready for a Fancy Dress Ball at Deller's, probably in the 1920s.
One of the bands that regularly played at Deller's Cafe - 1932.
Kitchen staff line up to take delivery of grouse and pheasant, tied to the side of the car. This is an early photograph from 1916.
Kitchen staff pose for a photograph. George Croft, head chef, is on the extreme right – 1930s.
Group photo of the Deller's staff at a staff party.