Page added 11 November 2008
When the London and South Western Railway initially passed Pinhoe in 1860, no provision was made for a station for the village. On 30 October 1871 the company opened a station for Pinhoe, with a small, single storey brick station building on the east end of the up platform, which had a booking hall and ladies' and general waiting room. A small shelter was provided for the down platform for passengers to Exeter. There was initially a wooden bridge linking the platforms that was replaced with, what is credited as being, the first concrete footbridge on the Southern Region, at a later date. A small siding, mostly for coal was provided in April 1882. Villagers relied on the railway for trips into Exeter, and in 1906 a Rail Motor Car Service was introduced.
There is a road crossing just to the east of the station that had lifting barriers installed in March 1963. The Beeching cuts resulted in the station closing on 7 March 1966, but it was reopened on 16 May 1983. The line to Honiton and London, Waterloo is now served by South West Trains, and the station has two platforms with metal shelters to protect passengers from the weather.
│ Top of Page │