Page added 4 August 2009
There is no mention of the Star and Garter before it was sold in 1863, and James Stoneman became landlord. It was a beer house that was popular with farmers and workers at the cattle market. Stoneman applied for a spirit license in September 1864 but was refused. He again applied in 1865 when Mr Hooper acted for Mr Stoneman in the application. He stated that the opening of Prince's Road through to St Davids Station had increased traffic in the locality. He also submitted a memorial signed by many cattle dealers and others who attended the market, requesting such a facility at the public house. Mr Floud, submitted a counter memorial signed by the rector of St Edmund's Church and local inhabitants, opposing the license. It was refused.
In total Stoneman applied another seven times before he was granted a license in 1874, after he had made structural changes to the building and added accommodation. The first listing as a public house was in 1878. Emma Lamble was charged with stealing a purse containing 15s from George Allen, a sailor, while at the Star and Garter. She was found guilty and given a month with hard labour.
Frederick and Mary Jane (Polly) Horwill, kept the pub, between 1897 through to 1912 and possibly longer. Fred Horwill died in 1897, aged only 47, but Polly kept on the pub for many years thereafter.
The house was closed in 1929, and demolished in 1933 for road widening, as part of the northern by-pass scheme which never materialised. The Star and Garter was on the corner of Bonhay Road and New Bridge Street, in a terrace of buildings next to the Exe Bridge. The name refers to a Royal emblem.
to 1882 - James Stoneman
1889 - Alfred Smeath
1897 to 1912 - Frederick Horwell
1912 - W T Chambers
1916 - Fred Andrews
1919 and 1923 - Frederick Pratt
Sources: Flying Post, trade directories, and Ederyn Williams.
Pratt's Star and Garter on the corner of Exe Bridge and Bonhay Road.
The Horwell family in 1899. Courtesy Ederyn Williams.
│ Top of Page │