The marked historic pubs on map, are those in which I have a confirmed position. Move the pointer over the spots for the pub name. Also see the History of the West Quarter.
The West Quarter had far more pubs in the past, than it does now. The area bounded by Fore Street, South Street and Commercial Road had a total of 40 public houses and hotels in 1897 of which one was a Temperance Hotel. There was also a brewery, a wine dealer and brewery store. There were seven establishments in South Street, and three in Fore Street.
Of the thirty seven pubs and hotels, the Bishops Blaize, the White Hart Hotel the Coachmakers Arms and the Devonport (renamed the Velvet Lounge) are the only ones still in existence. The Tap and Barrel in Burnthouse Lane was originally named the Dolphin, after the Dolphin Inn on the corner of Market Street and Preston Street.
The pubs listed below are from the 1897 Kelly's directory.
Bishop Blaize inn, Henry Silmon
Foresters' Arms, Wm. Clements, Commercial rd. Exeter
Duke of York P.H. John Walaron
Kings Arms P.H. William H Westcott
White Hart Tap Edward Wethey
4 Star & Garter P.H. Frederick Horwill
Round Tree inn, James Frederick Berry
101 Devon & Exeter Temperance hotel (Thomas Carnall, proprietor)
122 Devonport inn, Henry Furby Pratt
132 Albion P.H. William Richard Western
144 Heavitree Brewery Lim. (The)
4 Royal Oak P.H. Herbert J. Webber
6 Old Golden Lion P.H. Frederick John Walkey
12 Royal Oak P.H. Herbert J. Webber
7 Corn Exchange hotel, Edwin Down
11 New Golden Lion hotel, Thomas Gill
St. Anne's Well Brewery Stores
17 Dolphin inn, Henry Pardon
New Bridge St
8 & 9 Balsom John, wine & spirit vaults
Sawyers' Arms, Harry Patten, Preston street, Exeter
Coachmakers' Arms P.H. Mrs. Annie Westlake
4 Britannia inn, Thos. Edwin Ayres
38 Dove inn, Harry Burridge Chown
48 Topsham inn, Jn.Southard
49 Horton Arthur, wine & spirit vaults
66 White Hart hotel, William Youlden Wethey
72 Black Horse inn, John Moorman
78 Black Lions inn, Charles Henry Webber
103 The Grapes P.H. Antonio Guarella
23 City Arms P.H. Mrs. Emily Jennings
Sun inn, Henry James Bond, 19 Sun street, Exeter
7 Blackmoor's Head P.H. Henry Dart
9 King's Arms P.H. William Philip Baker
21 Fireman's Arms P.H. Frank Shooter
West Quarter (West St to Commercial Rd)
1 Old Teigmouth inn, George Southcott
Queen's Head P.H.Thomas Cook
Blue Boy inn, Mrs. Elizabeth Austin
Frank Shooter, the tenant of the Fireman's Arms in West Street was known as the 'Hero of the Exe'. He was the Bathing Constable and Superintendent at the Head Weir bathing area for 37 years. During his time in the job he saved over 200 people from drowning and taught thousands to swim. In 1886 he issued a challenge to any boy of 12 years or younger to race 500 yards for a £20 prize. Shooter was awarded a silver and bronze medal and four clasps by the Royal Humane Society for his life saving exploits. He died in 1917.
Source: Kelly's 1897 Directory, OS 1876, Life Saving Awards Research Society Journal website.
Devonport (Velvet Lounge)
│ Top of Page │