Hele's Grammar School for Boys moved from its site in Hele Road during 1959 to Southam Farm next to Quarry Lane, where it merged with the Secondary Technical College which had started out as the Junior Technical School in Paradise Place off Bartholomew Street. The merged schools were known as the Technical Grammar School. The new site was not large enough for all the boys from the two institutions, and the old army huts, that had been the last home of the Secondary Technical College, on the opposite side of the by-pass were occupied by the school. The Hele Road site was taken over by Exeter College, who took over the sixth forms of the two former grammar schools in 1972, and the Technical Grammar School was renamed Hele's High School.
In the same year, all of Exeter High Schools were reorganised into a comprehensive system. Bishop Blackall Girls' Grammar School was merged in 1983 with Hele's Grammar School creating a co-educational comprehensive school at Southam Farm, and Bishop Blackall closed. The new school was named St Peter's Church of England High School and was for 12 to 16 year olds. In 1986 the army huts were closed following a new building scheme. The school has gained recognition over the years for its rugby.
In 2007 the school moved to new buildings on the existing playing fields at Southam and the old school was demolished, and the site used as playing fields. The new school is for for 11 to 16 year old pupils and specialises as a language college. This will end Exeter's Middle School system.
The old, St Peter's School.
│ Top of Page │