Page updated 17 September 2008
between Post Office Street and Bedford
Street, this small lane was a modern addition to the Princesshay
development, and not completed until 1962. The
entrance to the lane was the site of the original 16th century, Bedford House.
The site of St John's Hospital School, founded in 1636 in the buildings of a dissolved medieval hospital, stood close to this spot. It famously had a statue of a Blueboy at its entrance, and was locally known as the Bluecoat School. After the destruction of the school in the May 1942 bombing, the statue was moved to a place very close to its original position in Princesshay.
The photo of the side of the post office, was taken just before its demolition in May 2005. Bluecoat Lane has disappeared with the redevelopment.
│ Top of Page │