Page updated 20 June 2009
Derived from the Anglo Saxon word moenchin, meaning nun. The stream of the same name ran past St Katherine's Priory. The nuns dammed the stream further up the valley to create a fish lake, hence the nuns lake. The Mincinglake rises above Mincinglake Bridge on Stoke Hill and enters the Exe at Northbrook Park, where it is named the Northbrook. It was referred to as the Wynford in 937, possibly derived from the Celtic word for Fair Stream. However, Wynford may be derived from the English word for flight or battle - its has been suggested that a ford near the bridge could have been the site of a battle between the Romans and British population, although there is no actual evidence for such an event. Wynford lent its name to almost all the lands around Exeter called Wonford.The Stoke Hill estate, of which Mincinglake Road is part, was commenced in 1950 to replace the housing lost to bombing in 1942. It would not be completed until 1958.
Private, Osmond Tamlyn Sleeman, Devonshire Regiment. 3 February 1917. Age 21. Mount Pleasant Rd
│ Top of Page │