FBJoin the Exeter Memories Group Page

St Michael's and All Angels - Pinhoe

Page updated 23 July 2008

Back to Churches of Exeter

The most rural of the churches in Exeter, this attractive little church is set in a neat church yard with a lovely 17th-century, thatched lychgate and a nice view of Exeter. In 1001, when the village was raided and burnt to the ground by a band of Vikings, the vicar rode to Exeter by donkey for more arrows for the defenders, to no avail. For his bravery, the priest was awarded an annual payment of 16 shillings - it is said that this sum was still paid to the Vicar of Pinhoe in Victorian times.

The present church is 15th century and constructed largely of Heavitree stone in the Perpendicular style. It contains a chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a tower. The tower has six bells – the first has a legend in Latin, the next two are dated 1691 and 1655, the tenor has inscribed on it "pre not thy self". Two treble bells were added in 1894 and are inscribed "Alleluia" and "Peace be unto you".

The interior carving on oak was restored by Harry Hems. There is a typical Devon wagon roof of the type that can be seen in St Martin's, Cathedral Close and Tuckers Hall. Inside, there are memorials to Bishop Cotton and the Bampfylde family. The church was restored in 1880 at a cost of £1,700.

The register dates from 1561.

Source: Kelly's 1897

St Michael's and All Angels, Pinhoe

Top of Page