Page updated 25 August 2009
Originally the site of the city water engine, that pumped water up to a cistern behind the Guildhall. It was sold in 1836 after the Pynes Water Works opened. The wheel, shed, buildings and cottages became a general purpose mill. By 1839 it was run by John Townsend who manufactured flock. In 1850 it was recorded as Martyn & Parkins who were millwrights, and Messrs. Cridge and Redwood. It was discussed by the Council General Purposes Committee in December 1860, as it had become dilapidated, and Mr Tanner had put in a claim for repairs.
The mill and mill house occupied by William Tremlett, and used as a bone mill, were up for auction in January 1864. It was up for let again, two years later, and in 1868, it was for sale, described as 'formerly used as the "Exeter Water Works"' The property was purchased by Exeter's mill owners in order that they could remove the wheel and improve the flow of water further down the leat. They then resold the buildings, incurring a loss of £500; a request to the Council for £137 3s, a share of the loss to be paid as compensation, was deferred to a committee to decide.
Sources are listed on the mills menu page.
Engine Bridge – the Engine Mill was on the other side of the bridge, on the shop site. Photo Alan H Mazonowicz.
│ Top of Page │