FBJoin the Exeter Memories Group Page

This Month in Exeter - 1913

Page updated 1st December 2013

This Month 1913
This Month 1914
This Month 1915
This Month 1916
This Month 1917
This Month 1918

Back to historic events in Exeter

Western Times

These newspaper snippets are from the Western Times and Devon and Exeter Gazette. It will be updated monthly, as we approach the centenary year of the start of the Great War in 1914. The page opens in January 1913.

3 January 1913

Death Rate

Exeter's death-rate for November was 13.28 per 1,000, as compared with 14.6 in the 95 large towns.

Gift to church

A solid silver Communion bread box has been presented to St. Matthew's Church, Exeter, by Miss Alice Pearse, daughter of the late Rector Allhallows-on-the-Wall; and a Credence tablecloth has been given by Miss Gertrude Daw. Both gifts were dedicated on Christmas Day.

St Olave's fire

On Saturday night one of the walls of St. Olave's Church, Exeter, was found to be red hot owing to a defective flue which is built into the wall, and which is connected with the heating apparatus. Superintendent Pett, of the Exeter Fire Brigade, was called. It was very fortunate that the defective flue was discovered on Saturday evening, as if the heat had extended higher up the wall the woodwork of the roof would have been in danger of ignition.

Neglect of children

At Exeter Police Court on Wednesday, before Messrs. S. Ward (in the chair) A. Steele-Perkins, and W. Brock. Mr. W. Linford Brown mentioned the case of Margaret Whatley, married, of Gardensquare, North-street, Exeter, who was charged last week with neglecting her two children aged 11 years and 5 years. One of the complaints against, the defendant, was that she went to bed for a day or two together, and did not look after the children. She went to bed last Thursday and she was still there.-The Bench made an order for the removal of the children, and also ordered the case to come for hearing at an early opportunity.

10 January 1913

Christmas Ball

There was a brilliant scene in the Assembly Room of the Rougemont Hotel, Exeter, on Friday, when the Devon County Christmas Bail was held. Between three and four hundred guests, representative many leading families Devon, attended.

Neglect of children - conclusion

Margaret Whatley was again before the Mayor and other magistrates at the Exeter Police Court on Tuesday, on a charge of neglecting her two children. The case had been adjourned from a previous Court. It was stated that the defendant went to bed on December 25th and refused to get up. There was nothing the matter with her.—She was sent prison for four months with hard labour.

Bankrupt farrier

At Exeter Bankruptcy Court, Wednesday, Chas. Wm. Pile, farrier, of Magdalen-road, Exeter, applied for his discharge. The Official Receiver reported that a first and final dividend of 2s in the £ had been paid on proofs totalling £154 10s 4d. There were debts of £77, claims not yet admitted. The assets produced £37 13s 4d. Debtor said the introduction of electric trams to the city and the increase of motor-cars had greatly interfered with his business.—The order of discharge was suspended for two years.

17 January 1913


Heavitree’s birth-rate for December was 17.13 per 1,000, and the death-rate 8.56.


Exeter Dispensary—Remaining on the books last week 407, admitted this week 63-470. Discharged–Cured 30, benefited 55, gone to hospital 2, no return 3—90. Remaining on the books, 380.


A verdict of "Death from natural causes" was returned by a jury conducting an inquest concerning the death of Florence Ruby Harris aged 26, of Grosvenor-place, Exeter. It appeared that deceased had been attended by a herbalist. She afterwards went to several doctors, but they did not attend, as she was a patient of another medical man.

Workhouse festivities

An event that the inmates of the St. Thomas Workhouse never fail to eagerly look forward to the annual treat given by the Rev. F. F. Buckingham (Chairman the Guardians) and Mrs. Buckingham, through whose kindness the inmates are allowed to drop the usual routine for the while and have an enjoyable time. The treat was held on Friday, and the entertainment was preceded by an excellent tea.

24 January 1913

Long walk

William Crump, a native of Exeter, but residing now at Bristol, last week walked between 9 and 10 miles on his 82nd birthday, and felt no fatigue after it.

Inspector of Nuisances

At examination for Inspectors of Nuisances, held in Exeter, 14 candidates presented themselves. Among those who were certified regards their sanitary knowledge, competent to discharge the duties Inspector of Nuisances under the Public Health Act, 1875, were George William Challice (Exeter), John Jeffry Nicholls (Starcross), and Albert Ernest Trounson (Exeter).

Unmuzzled dog

According to the regulations of the Board Agriculture, all dogs which enter the ports on ships have to be chained and muzzled. Notices to this effect are served on the masters directly the ship arrives. The disregard of the regulations have led to serious consequences to the Customs officer at Exeter, who, in the course of his duty, went aboard a Dutch vessel which arrived at Exeter Basin from Hamburg with a cargo of sugar. The sequel took place at Exeter Police Court, when Peter Junker, the master of the ship, which is lying in the City Basin, was summoned for failing to have his dog muzzled and chained as required by the Diseases of Animals Act. The summons was taken out at the instance the Chief Constable,and defendant was fined 10s and costs.

31 January 1913

Promoted to Captain

Lieut. B. C. Wrey, Devonshire Regiment, adjutant 7th (Cyclist) Battalion, Exeter, has been promoted to captain. He has had to wait 11½ years for his third star.

Camping lecture

Mr. Charles W. M.D., delivered a very interesting lecture on "Camping Days and Ways" to the members and friends of the Exeter Literary Society at the Barnfield Hall last evening. His remarks were illustrated by a series of beautiful lantern slides illustrative of nature study.

Lawn Tennis teapot

A silver tea-pot suitably inscribed has been, presented to Mr. George Connett, the late Hon. Secretary of the Heavitree Lawn Tennis Club, by the members. Mrs. Le Feaver made the presentation, and Mr. J. R. Nethercott, President of the club, spoke in appreciation of Mr Connett's, services.

07 February 1913

Against Women's Suffrage

The National League for Opposing Woman Suffrage held a meeting Monday in the Barnfield Hall. Exeter, where week earlier the non-militant section of the Votes for Women movement had gathered to hear addresses in support of woman suffrage. The principal speakers now were Mrs. Harold Norris (President of the Chiswick Branch), and Mr. A. Maconachie (Member of the London Executive). There was a large and influential attendance.

Drunken thief

A remarkable case was heard at the Exeter Police Court, Tuesday, when Albert Edward Clarke, painter, of Salem-place, Blackboy-road, was charged with stealing on the 23rd ult., from No. 53, Well-street, a small brown leather handbag, containing a purse with one £5 note, two sovereigns, and some silver and stamps, value altogether £8, the property of Ellen Pullen. It was stated that the accused was left in a room where the money was, and after he went it was missed. Although he had been out work for several months he went to Exmouth the same day and was spending a lot money on drink.— He was committee for trial at the Quarter Sessions.

14 February 1913

Selling shoes

Edward Roberts, shoemaker, was fined and costs at the Police Court, on Tuesday, for selling a pair of shoes entrusted to him for repair.

Tramp had never worked

Oliver Jennings, an elderly tramp, well known in Exeter, pleaded guilty at the Castle of Exeter on Wednesday to sleeping out.–Supt. Jesse said the man was a perfect pest to the neighbourhood. He was able-bodied, and I've never done any work, and never would.– The Benches sent him to prison for a week.

City Vagrants

At the weekly meeting of Exeter Board of Guardians, it was reported that the number of vagrants had decreased from 121 to 53, as compared with the corresponding week last year.

Double Locks license

After a lengthy hearing before the Wonford Bench, on Tuesday, the application of Mr. W. C. S. Pannaford, for a seven days' license in respect to the Double Locks Inn, was granted.

Slept in a pigsty

On his eleventh birthday, a small boy, who got out of control, was brought up Wednesday at the Wonford Sessions. His father applied that he should be sent to an Industrial School. He was found by a policeman sleeping in a pigsty at Heavitree. The boy was sent to an Industrial School until he is 15, the father to pay 2s a week towards his maintenance.

No lights

Henry Stone, was summoned at the Exeter Police Court, yesterday, for riding a bicycle in Magdalen-road on the 8th inst. without a light. P.C. Wood stated the facts. Defendant said the lamp bracket was awkwardly placed below the basket, made it difficult for him tell if the lamp was alight. It was alright two minutes before he was spoken to by the Constable. Fined 1s inclusive. David Turner, of Hill's-court, was fined 1s for having his chimney on fire on the 9th inst.

Cost of electricity

To-day's issue of the Electrical Times will contain analyses the accounts of the Exeter Electric Supply and Tramways Undertakings. For the year ending March 1911, the total number of units sold was 1,407,414, and in 1912 1,479,696. The gross profit for 1911 was £9,269, and in 1912 (the 22nd year working), £3,227. In the former year, the Undertaking yielded surplus of £2,334, and in 1912, £1,432. Coal and other fuel cost in 1911 £3,111, and in 1912 £3,404; wages of workmen increased from £955 to £981. There were also increases under the heads of oil waste, water and stores, repairs and maintenance, rent, rates and taxes, and management expenses. The total cost of working in1912 was £8,351, as compared with £7,639 in 1911.

21 February 1913

Nurse sent to workhouse

The sad case of a nurse who had been obliged to enter St. Thomas Workhouse owing to the conduct of her husband was heard at Wonford Petty Sessions. Defendant left his family in December. The case was adjourned last month, since when defendant had sent 3s. The Chairman said the Bench had no hesitation in passing sentence of a month's hard labour, and they wished they could make it two.

Heavitree annexation costs

At a meeting of Heavitree District Council, held on Wednesday, among the items of estimated expenditure to be provided for during the ensuing year was a sum of £1,800 for "annexation opposition." The Chairman of the Finance Committee (Mr. White) said the annexation inquiry had already cost Heavitree £2,200, was an iniquitous business, no doubt engineered by a few interested parties in Exeter. On the recommendation of the Finance Committee it was decided to levy a general district rate of 4s 4d in the £ in No. 1 district, and 3s 10d in the £ in No. 2 district–an increase of a shilling.

Women's Suffrage

The Exeter Branch the National Union of Women's Suffrage Societies held its annual business meeting in the College Hall, South-street, Exeter, Monday. Mrs. W. J. Pring, the President, was in the chair. The annual report and balance-sheet were presented and adopted. The former showed that forty-seven new members had joined during the year. The following are the officers of the Branch, who were all re-elected: President. Mrs. W. J. Pring: vice-presidents, Lady Elliott Drake. Mrs. Wyndham Knight, Bruce, Lady Rosalind Northcote, Sir Robert Newman Bart; Committee-Mrs. Linscott (Chairman) Miss Baly, Mr. W. Linford Brown Miss Cole, Miss O. Hepburn, Miss Lucraft, Mrs Macknight, Miss Nedall, Mrs. Penry Miss E. Pethcrick, Mrs. W. H. Roberts Mrs. G. Ross, Miss Splatt, Miss Story, Mrs Warren, and Miss Willcocks; Hon Treasurer, Mr. R. P. Holmes; hon. Secretary, Mrs P. Fletcher. The names of Mrs Mortimer, and Mrs. Lugeroro, and Mrs. Potter were also by election added to the Committee.

28 February 1913

Divorce Court

In the Divorce Court on Monday, Sir Samuel Evans, the President, granted a decree nisi to Frederick George Gray, a painter and plumber, of Cowick Street, St. Thomas.Exeter, on the ground of the misconduct of his wife, Norah Ellen Gray. The suit was undefended.

Attempted suicide

Thomas Reed, who was found in the garden of a house in Cowley-road, Exeter, unconscious, with laudanum bottles beside him, on St. Valentine's Day, was again before the City Magistrates on a charge of attempted suicide. Defendant said he had a letter from a sister at Barry offering him a home, and it was decided to send him there, notifying the Salvation Army of his removal.

Gas Accounts

The annual meeting of Exeter Gas Light and Coke Company was held at the offices, Southernhay on Monday, Mr. George Hardy Harris, Chairman of Directors, being in the chair. It was reported that the sale of gas had increased by over twenty-two million cubic feet. The usual dividends of 10 per cent, on the original stock and 7 per cent, on the ordinary shares, free of income tax, were declared.

Captain Scott

The decision to hold a memorial service in Exeter Cathedral on Friday, to the late Captain Scott, R.N., and his comrades who lost their lives in the ill-fated Antarctic Expedition, was especially appropriate, as the leader of the Expedition was a Devonshire man, a native of Devonport. It would have been held a week earlier, the same time as the similar service in St. Paul's, but circumstances obliged the Dean to defer it till last Friday. The family of the late Capt. Scott was represented by Mr. Russell Coombe, of Exeter, a cousin. The aged mother of the late Captain Scott, who lives at Henley-on-Thames, and his aunt, Mrs. Bromham, who resides at Barnstaple, were unable to attend. Sir William and Lady Ellison Macartney were also unavoidably absent.

7 March 1913

Funeral of Mrs Otton

The funeral the late Mrs. Walter Otton will take place at the Higher Cemetery tomorrow morning (Saturday). First portion the service at the Mint Wesleyan Church 11.15 a.m. Bradbeer and Sons, Undertakers, Sidwell-street. (ed - Walter Otton was founder of Otton's in Fore Street.)

Wet burglar

On Tuesday night two buildings were burgled at Exeter. The work was evidently that of a novice, as one of the places selected was the Corporation Swimming Baths. A few shillings was found and taken. At Messrs. Eland's Library the thief only succeeded in finding some petty cash.

Salmon petition

The Exe Board Conservators had before them at their meeting this week a petition from the salmon rod fishermen, asking that the season for rod fishing below Pyne's Weir might commence on February 1st. They were willing to give up the last six weeks of the existing season. After some discussion is was decided make no change in the present arrangement.

14 March 1913

Vehicle collision

A motor-car belonging to Dr. Pereira was being driven down Queen-st, Exeter, Tuesday, and when the driver was trying to pass a wagon going the same way, it skidded and collided with a motor-lorry belonging to Messrs., Merrick and Son, standing outside the premises of Messrs., Hibberd. Fortunately no damage was done beyond a smashed mudguard and bent step to the doctor's car.

Pony accident

The prompt action of Inspector Martin and PC Guest of the City Police, prevented what might have been a serious accident yesterday. A butcher lad named Pepperill, in the employ Mr. Martin, of South-street, was riding a pony round Queen-street corner when the animal slipped and fell. The rider’s foot got entangled in the stirrup, and he was unable to free himself, but before the pony could regain its feet, the two officers were on the scene and held the pony until the lad extricated himself.

Baby's body

A startling discovery was made by one of the employees of the Trew’s Weir Paper Mills, Exeter, on Monday, about 2 o'clock. The man was engaged in cleaning the weed-rack close by the Mills, a task which has to be done periodically to ensure the water being able to run through the narrow iron grating without being impeded by river weeds, etc., that quickly gather, when he noticed something strange among the weeds which proved to be the nude body of a newly-born infant. The body had evidently been in the water sometime, and there was no clue to establish identification.

20 March 1913

Fewer tramps

He meeting of the Exeter Guardians was held on Tuesday, under the chairmanship of the Governor, Mr F. G. Towill.–It was reported that the tramps last week numbered only 30, which was a remarkable decrease, the corresponding figures being 61 and 103.–On the recommendation of the Management Committee, it was decided to accept 6 female imbeciles at a charge of 8s each per week from the Axminster Workhouse. The Governor, in answer to a question, said that the charge would leave a small margin of profit.

Pleasure boat certificate

An interesting point concerning the passenger motor craft plying on Exeter Canal was decided on Tuesday in the King’s Bench, the decision of the Exeter City Bench, that the boats in question were exempt from the necessity of having a board of trade certificate, being reversed. There was considerable doubt at the time whether the decision would be upheld, seeing that it had such a far-reaching effect. As was urged, the surveys necessary to the Board of Trade certificates are solely in the interests of the passengers. If the Exeter Canal were exempt so also (it must logically follow) would the Manchester Ship Canal, which is (of course) a very much bigger affair. It seems a pity that the point was ever brought to judicial arbitrament.

28 March 1913

Bullocks at midnight

At Exeter police court yesterday, before Mr J. Gould (in the chair), and Mr J. G. Owen, Giles Frampton, of South Street was fined 2s 6d allowing two young bullocks to stray in Queen-street on the 20th instance. PC Wise found the animals in the street at midnight.

Silver wedding

On Tuesday Mr and Mrs Charles W. Sanford, of Franklin-street, Exeter celebrated their silver wedding, and were the recipients of many congratulations. The marriage took place in the Mint Wesleyan Church twenty-five years ago. Mr Sanford is well known in the religious life of the city. He is a steward at the St Sidwell’s Wesleyan Church. For nearly forty years he has also been actively engaged at the Exe Island Mission, and had been its organist there ever since the hall was built.

4 April 1913

Tramways income

Mr. T. Linscott reported to the Exeter City Council that during the year the receipts of the tramways amounted to £15,950.

Chief Constable salary

On the recommendation of the Watch Committee, Exeter City Council agreed that in advertising for a Chief Constable in succession to Mr. E. H. de Schmid, The salary be increased to £300 per annum at the start, rising by annual increments of £25 to £350. In the event of the Local Government Board granting annexation of Heavitree, an additional £50 per annum to be granted.

11th April 1913

Cart Horse Parade

The annual meeting of supporters of the Exeter Cart Horse Parade was held in the City Guildhall on Friday, the Sheriff of Exeter (Mr, R. Every) presiding. It was decided to judge the Parade this year at the Higher Barracks, by kind permission of the Officer Commanding.

Fire at Thomas Moore

A somewhat serious fire broke out at the premises of Mr. Thomas Moore, hatter and outfitter, Fore-street, Exeter, on Tuesday evening. About £500 worth of damage was done, a considerable amount of stock, including a large number of straw hats, being destroyed. The origin of the fire, which was discovered in the second storey, was unknown. Two of the firemen had to wear smoke helmets to enter the premises.

18 April 1913

Military Service

There will be a special military service in honour of St Georges Day, in the Cathedral on Sunday, at 10:30 a.m. which will be attended by the Regular Troops, Territorial Units, Voluntary Aid Detachment, National Reserve, St John Ambulances Association, and Boy Scouts.

City of Exeter Picture Palace

Mr. Harry Rice, who has been secretary and manager of the City of Exeter Picture Palace, Ltd., since the Company was inaugurated, has now been placed on the Board of Directors.– Mr. Harold Mock has been elected managing director and secretary, with Mr. L.J. Tranter, who has been helping Mr. Rice, as his assistant.

Saved from drowning

The unhappy story was told at Exeter Police Court on Tuesday of how a married woman attempted to throw herself into the river Exe by the Haven Banks early yesterday, but was prevented by the plucky action of a lad, who, in spite of the woman's violent struggles, saved her by holding her back from the edge of the river. The woman was Mary Ann Bond, of Sun-street, and the lad named John Bates.

25th April 1913

Found drowned

After a steamer had passed down Exeter Canal by Salmon Pool Bridge on Saturday, the body of Harry Batten, 49, coal hawker, of Exeter, rose to the surface. Deceased had been missing since the previous evening–A verdict of "Found drowned " was returned.

No motor boat certificate

There was another outcome of a recent case against Mr. Chas. Ross, of Exeter, who was summoned for running the motor-boats "Otranto" and "Dorothy," on the Canal without a Board of Trade certificate. The case had already been fought out in the Divisional Court. The Bench imposed a fine of 10s in each case, each side to pay their own costs, the Court fees being remitted.

Bishop Blaize crime

Some money has mysteriously disappeared from a public house, the "Bishop Blaze" in Commercial-road, Exeter. On Monday morning, the landlord of the premises, Mr. H. Pulman missed a sum amounting, it is stated, to £9. What makes the matter somewhat of a mystery is the fact that apparently no doors or windows had been forced, and it is difficult to say how the money was got at. The police are investigating the matter.

Drowned in leat

A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned at an inquest held, touching the death of Harry Samuel Hollier (7), of Tudor-street, Exeter, who fell into the mill leat at Exwick Fields. A witness named Thomas Mitchell, who was called to help, was severely cross examined by the jury as to why he did not jump into the water. He replied that he could not swim, the water was deep, and the current swift. He, therefore, thought he ought not to take the risk. The jury expressed the opinion that Mitchell should have done more than he did, and also that lighter poles should be provided.

Suffragettes bomb campaign

A note was picked up in the Exeter Cathedral on Tuesday intimating that the suffragettes intend to deposit a live bomb in the place before the week is out. The writing was in a cramped hand, evidently with the object of preventing identification. The note was handed to the police. The threat, however, is regarded as a hoax, similar to that perpetrated at Dawlish station a few days ago. The police are very reticent about the affair, but it seems that the note, in addition to the threat of a bomb, contained the words, "Remember Pankhurst." The police, while treating the affair as a silly joke, have taken precautions. The Dean and Chapter would be well advised to close for a time to strangers that portion of the Cathedral east of the organ, where it would be quite easy to perpetrate an outrage. Those in charge of other public buildings in Exeter are exercising extra vigilance.

9 May 1913

Globe sold

The leasehold interest of the Globe Hotel, Exeter, which has historical associations with the City, has been purchased by Mr. M. J. Dunsford, of Exeter, on behalf of a Syndicate.

Suffragettes strike again

Shortly after three on Friday afternoon, when the postman proceeded to clear the pillar-box at the top of Martins-lane, Exeter, he was surprised to find the letters covered with a white corrosive acid. He called the policeman on point duty at the corner of Queen-street, and together they cleared the box. It was then found that the acid came from a flat bottle ion which was written: " Votes for Women." The postman then proceeded to the Queen Street Post Office, and here a similar state of affairs existed. In this case the newspaper cuttings found referred to Mrs. Pankhurst, and there were other leaflets, the bottle also bearing appropriate messages.

16 May 1913

One legged swimmer

Mr. A. L. Matthews, the well-known one legged swimmer, has been appointed swimming instructor at the Exeter School.

Rabbi dies

We regret to announce the death of Mr. Abraham Rosenberg, Jewish Rabbi, who passed away suddenly at his residence at No. 43, West Grove-road, Exeter. Dr. Pereira was summoned, but his services were of no avail. Deceased for some time ministered at the Synagogue in Mary Arches-street.

Actress visits Exeter

Miss Violet Vanbrugh, the famous actress, who paid a flying visit to Exeter on Wednesday, and appeared in two widely contrasted characters at the Victoria Hall, had an enthusiastic reception. Daughter of the late Rev. Prob. Barnes, vicar of Heavitree, who was the friend of Gordon, Miss Vanbrugh spent her girlhood in the city, and the fact that she was personally known to a large number of the audience assembled in the hall on Wednesday night made the occasion specially interesting.

23 May 1913

Workhouse inmates entertained

A number of local artists provided an excellent entertainment for the inmates of the City Workhouse on Wednesday. The Misses Winnie and Elsie Walkey and Miss Rowe, delighted the audience with songs and piano forte solos, whilst Mr. A. Gale also contributed a number of songs. Special mention must be made or Mr. Frank Kerley, whose witty contributions produced mirth and laughter in abundance. A popular feature of the entertainment was the very fine selections on the gramophone, supplied by Mr. W. Sanders. Mr. Batten was the able accompanist. Tobacco was given to the men by friend and Mr. F. Walkey (Guardian), who occupied the chair, promised a gift of tea and sugar to the female inmates. A hearty vote of thanks was accorded the organiser of the concert, who suitably replied, and thanked the Master and Matron for their presence.

30 May 1913

Whitebait catch

The first catch whitebait for the season was made at Turf on Wednesday, and accordance with custom the dish was forwarded to the Mayor Exeter.

Empire Day

Empire Day was Saturday, but that is a school holiday, the event was celebrated the Exeter elementary schools on Friday. The weather was glorious,the sun shining with great brilliancy, and the juveniles entered into the celebrations with great enthusiasm. At the various schools the parents of the scholars attended. Flags were unfurled, patriotic songs were sung, and addresses were delivered to the youngsters the lessons of the British Empire by leading citizens.

6 June 1913

Buller Memorial

A short service of dedication will be held in the Cathedral, at 12:30, to-day (Friday), when the Memorial Tablet to Sir Redvers Buller will be unveiled by General Kekewich, C.B.

Two road accidents

About 5 o'clock on Wednesday the lad named Montanden, aged about eleven, was knocked down at the top of Queen-street, Exeter by a motor car driven by Mr Frank Shooter, of Exeter. Dr Vlieland, who was passing, attended the lad, who was not much hurt, and was taken to the house of his parents in Gandy-street. A few moments later, further excitement is caused at the same spot by the Dunsfold-hill car jumping the points and colliding with a Pinhoe-road car. The step and front of the Dunsford-hill car with damage, but no one was injured.

13 June 1913

Reverend Fined

Rev. John Henry Prince, the vicar of St. Thomas was at Exeter the Police Court Wednesday morning fined 2s 6d for riding a motor cycle, which was not duly registered. It was explained that the reverend gentleman had been wrongly informed by the firm where he had purchased the machine that he only needed to get a driver's license, and not one for the bicycle. On being apprised of his error, he immediately registered the cycle.

Military Tournament

The chief attraction in Exeter Saturday was the military tournament organised by the local Territorials with the object of showing citizens their capabilities, and of stimulating an interest in recruiting in this important part of our national defence. They were assisted by the Royal Field Artillery from Topsham Barracks. There have been military tournaments in Exeter before, but this was the first time anything of the kind on so important a scale had been undertaken by the Territorials. Keen interest was taken in the event, and there was a large crowd on the County Ground. There was a military tattoo in the evening.

20 June 1913

Meteor in the sky

About 10 o'clock on Saturday evening, the Governor of Exeter Prison and Rev. J. J. Collins, chaplain, standing on the terrace at New North-road, Exeter, noticed bright meteor come into view above Haldon Hill, and continue in a north-westerly direction well up in the sky till lost to view in the direction of Cowley-road. It was then at the same elevation and still going strong.

27 June 1913

Boy rescued

On Wednesday a little boy named Jack Hannaford, living in Frog-lane, was playing at the Basin at Exeter when be fell into the water. The mate of the ship "Rothersand," a German named M. Coobs, who saw the accident, at once plunged in after the lad, and quickly rescued him, Hannaford thus escaping with a ducking.

Suffragists' pilgrimage

A meeting in connection with the Suffragists' pilgrimage from Land's End to London was held at St Sidwell's Institute, Exeter, on Monday. The Rev. F. Jones presided. The idea of the pilgrimage is to advertise the non-militant section of the Suffragette movement, and also to provide funds for the campaign. Mrs Fletcher gave details of the procession through Exeter. She said branches had promised to come from Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth, Sidmouth, Topsham, and Torquay to join in the procession through Exeter, and she hoped to see a large number of their supporters in Exeter joining them. The procession would come up South-street, and down Fore-street to Gervase-avenue, where a meeting would be held. Following this meeting, the procession would go up through the streets to the Fountain in Sidwell-street, where another meeting would be held.

4 July 1913

Six weeks for theft

A foolish act–that of stealing on Monday last from 16, Longbrooke-street, Exeter a gentleman's gold watch chain and Maltese Cross pendant, valued at £5–was the cause of a young domestic servant, named Jessie Shears, being taken before the Magistrates–Messrs. E. C. Rowe (in the chair), and Dr. Perkins–at Exeter Police Court on Wednesday. The stolen property belonged to Mrs. Marrion Thomas. When asked what she had to say, prisoner tearfully admitted the theft.–The Chairman said prisoner was charged with a serious crime, and in sending her to prison in the second division for six weeks he trusted that it would have a good influence on her character.

Diver in Basin

There was one man in Exeter on Monday who was the envy of everybody who was looking at him. That man was a diver, and the small crowd of spectators who were standing on the banks by the Basin watching him, with the scorching heat of the sun pouring down on them, would doubtless much have liked even a few moments at his occupation. It seems that a large quantity of timber was at the bottom of the Basin, and as this was obstructing passage of vessels, it was necessary to get it removed. Thus the services of the diver were requisitioned, and he performed the task of placing a wire to each end of the timber, which enabled it be pulled out of the way. The diving operations lasted in all about an hour. Probably the two most envious people among those present were the couple who were working the pumping machine.

Veteran Donkey

Many Exonians were astonished yesterday to see a man astride a donkey, in front of which he dangled a bunch of carrots, riding down the High-street, followed by couple of chars-a-banc, with a full complement of passengers and a band. Enquiries elicited the fact that this strange procession was made up of the Navy and Army veterans of Sidmouth, who were passing through the city on their way to Torquay for their annual outing. The donkey is their mascot and when Exeter was reached one of the party procured one, and led the way South in the manner described.

18 July 1913

Wash-house wedding

Miss Annie Harper, who was in the office at the Public Baths and Wash-house, Exeter was presented, on her marriage, with a beautiful clock, subscribed by over seventy of her friends and users of the baths and wash-house, as a slight token of regard for her courteous, kind, and cheerful disposition.

Miniature rifle champions

The Matthew Nathan Cup has been for years in existence. Once every twelve months it is competed for by the miniature rifle shots of the Postal Service of the country. The first year it came to Exeter and now in 1913 it is back again; this week in the dining hall of the Exeter Post Office it was formally presented to the Exeter team by Mr. J. G. Madden the district Surveyor.

Trews Weir fire engine

The firm of Messrs. John Pitts and Sons, Ltd., of the Trews Wier Paper Mills, Exeter have recently purchased a new fire engine. For a considerable time now a brigade has been established among the employees. The new engine was christened Tuesday by Mrs. Pitts in the presence of the Deputy Mayor (Mr. C. J. Ross), Mr. John Pitts (captain of the brigade), Supt, and Mrs. Pett, Mr. Gould (captain of the Topsham Fire she Brigade), and others. The cheer was given as Mrs Pits named the engine "Jessie."

Lammas Fair

Lammas Fair was proclaimed at Exeter on Tuesday. Although the fair is practically now nothing but a name, there's still the annual celebration to remind people of the ancient privileges. The decorated and stuffed white glove on the top of a pole was carried in a procession, being preceded by two mace-sergeants, and two men playing respectively a fife and a drum. Mr. Setter read the proclamation first outside the Anchor Inn, Exe Island, next outside the Cattle Market gates, and then near St. John’s Church, again at the entrance to the Arcade, and finally outside the Guildhall. The reading of the proclamation was listened to by large number of people, who were amused by, and interested in, the phraseology of it. After the proclamation had been read outside the Guildhall, the white glove was hoisted to the top of the building, where it will remain until Friday noon, the period of the fair been two whole days and two half days.

25 July 1913

Three months for begging

The story of how a burly young fellow carried out a systematic begging campaign at Exeter, and then when arrested, became very violent and threatening, was told at the City Police Court on Monday, when William Oliver, an engineer, was sentenced to 3 months hard labour.

Attempted murder

The Court at the Castle of Exeter was crowded on Tuesday, when Henry John Potter, tailor, of Springfield-road, Exeter, a native of Budleigh Salterton, was again placed in the dock charged with the attempted murder of Adeline Depaoli, his sweetheart, by shooting her with a pistol. The accused looked in better health than he did when before the Bench last week. Mr. McGahey again appeared on his behalf. The accused was remanded till Tuesday next.

1 August 1913

Dangerous cyclist

John Hy. Merrifield, of Parr-street, Exeter, a member of the Territorials, was fined 2s 6d at Exeter Police Court on Tuesday for riding his bicycle on the wrong side of the road at Southernhay West. Mrs Derry, of Wonford-road, said defendant came so close to her, that he" frightened her horribly."

Motor cycle trial

The 24 hours' motor cycle reliability trial promoted by the Exeter and District Motor Cycle Club for the handsome cup presented Mr. Ernest Gould has resulted in a win for the popular local rider, S. J. Saunders. The gold medal goes to P. Pike, and silver medals to L. Mogridge, A. Babington and J. Neumann.

Attempted murder

Henry John Potter, tailor, of Springfield-Road, Exeter, was again brought up at the Castle Exeter. Tuesday, before Col Blake (chairman), Mr. Snow and Mr. T. Kekewich, on a charge attempting to murder his sweetheart by shooting her — P.S. Mortimore asked for a further remand until Tuesday next. He added that Miss Depaoli was still unfit to attend. No operation had yet been performed her, and the bullet which entered her side had not been removed.—Accused was accordingly remanded.

8 August 1913

Visiting porpoises

Fishing in the sea off Lynmouth during the week has been greatly interfered with by the visit of a large shoal of porpoises and an enormous grampus, which has been estimated to measure at least twenty feet in length.

Fire at Exwick

A fire broke out early on Monday morning in a store at Exwick, belonging to Mr. Patten, of St David’s Exeter. The store contained furniture and other goods, some of which belong to Mr Climmer. The whole was destroyed, the damage being estimated at about £150. Mr Climmer was not insured.

15 August 1913

Champion spuds

Mr. Alford, of Willey's-avenue, Exeter, on Friday, uprooted a stalk with 34 potatoes attached, in his garden. The potatoes weighed 14lbs., and the largest of them 15 ounces. The stalk is 5ft. high. Two other stalks yielded 26 and 29 potatoes respectively.

Oil steamer

An event of more than ordinary importance was the arrival in Exeter Basin Tuesday of the first steamer driven oil fuel. She is the "Innishannon," and carried nearly 400 tons of pig-iron from Middlesbrough for Messrs., Willey and Co., engineers, Exeter. The "Innishannon" is the largest boat which has come up to Exeter, and yet she was able to take the Canal with comparative ease, being of extremely light draught. She is one of a fleet of twenty oil-driven vessels belonging to the same firm, and the influence this type boat upon the carrying trade of the kingdom may have far-reaching results.

Welcome Inn death

Shortly after four on Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Charles Osborn, of the Welcome Inn, Haven Banks, who had gone down the banks for walk, was seen to drop just as he was about cross Sage's Bridge on the homeward journey. Attention was at once given by Messrs., Willey and Dawson, who were chatting on the opposite side of the bridge. Everything was done that could possibly be done. Mr. Osborn bled freely from the nostrils, and as he appeared not to show any signs returning consciousness, word was sent to Mrs. Osborn by cyclist, but expired before medical assistance arrived.

22 August 1913

Garage fire

At Messrs. Gould Bros., garage on Saturday a spark from a match on the floor set fire to some petrol from a car belonging to Mr Bert Crocker, and damage was done to the extent of between £50 and £60.

Steeplechases at Haldon

On Wednesday and Thursday of next week the ever popular Devon and Exeter steeplechases will be held on the well-known Haldon Racecourse. The entries are good, and excellent sport is anticipated. There is every facility for reaching the course from Exeter and district, but seats should be booked early.

Tragic drowning

A sad sequel to the mysterious disappearance of a child at Exeter on Sunday was forthcoming on Monday morning, when the unfortunate father recovered the dead body from the river. The circumstances connected with the distressing affair appeared to be that the father, Charles Coles, a mason’s labourer, of James-street, Exeter was sitting near the Weirfields accompanied by his two children, Charles, the younger, aged four, and the other seven years. Mr. Coles was occupied in reading a newspaper–he did not fall asleep, as had been stated–and suddenly missed the younger son. From the start it was feared that the boy had fallen into the river, which runs close by, but the other child did not see his brother disappear. Search was made in in the fields, and the river was dragged, but it was not until Monday morning, as stated, that the father had the melancholy experience of hooking the body of his child in the river with a pole. The body was conveyed to the Heavitree Mortuary.–A verdict of “Accidental death" was returned.

29 August 1913

Boy knocked down

A boy named Alfred Withers, aged 7 years, residing with his uncle at South-street, Exeter, ran in front of a motor-car at South-street, at about 4 pm, yesterday. He was knocked down, and the driver of the car, who hailed from Salcombe Regis, picked him up and took him to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, where was detained, suffering from concussion.

Annexation Bill

A letter from the Local Government Board was read at the meeting of Exeter Board of Guardians, held on Tuesday, stating that the Annexation Bill relating to the City had been confirmed by Parliament.

Gambling hawkers

Wm. Roberts, an elderly man, and Robert Salter, junr., both of Exeter, describing themselves as hawkers were charged at Cullompton Police Court yesterday, before Dr. E.F.M. Alleyne and Mr. H.W. Rawlins, with playing an illegal game of chance at Willand Sports last week. It appears that they were working what was known as an "Australian sweep," the chances being a penny each. Defendants earned 4d each time–Salter expressed regret, and pleaded that he simply lent Roberts a hand in the evening. Robert said he thought the game was permissible.– fined 10s each or 14 days.

5 September 1913

Potato record?

Mr. W. Alford, of 6, Willey's-avenue Exeter, raised a stalk of 41 nice-sized potatoes 26lbs. The largest potato weighs 20ozs. Another stalk yielded 68 potatoes, weighing 22lbs.

Drunk and disorderly

"It was more excitement than drink," said Alfred Willey, a labourer of Cowick-street, when summoned at the Exeter Police Court yesterday for being drunk and disorderly in Church-road yesterday. According to a constable, Willey was abusing his mother-in-law, wife, and other members of his family. It was his first offence, and you 2s 6d and costs.

Barnstaple to Exeter record attempt

The attempt of the young Exeter rider, W. J. Aggett, of the Exeter Rovers, to beat the Barnstaple to Exeter record has failed after a plucky effort. The record is held by Mr. Frank Gibbons, who did the journey some years ago in 2hr. 40 min. 23 sec. On Tuesday morning Aggett left Barnstable at 5 o'clock. It was then raining, and the road was up five miles from the start. In addition, the Exonian encountered tyre trouble on the South Molton-road, when he arrived at Exeter at 7h. 54min. 3sec., he was covered in mud. Mr. R. Bray and Mr. A. Jones, of Barnstable, timed him away, and Mr. F. Gibbons, holder of the record, and Mr. H. Summers, checked the rider at Exeter.

12 September 1913

Eye accident

Alfred Thomas, aged 19, was admitted to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital yesterday about 6.30, with an injury to his eye. He was working a slaughter-house when the knife he was using slipped and cut the eye, which had to removed.

Mint Anniversay

The 101st anniversary services of the Exeter Mint Wesleyan Sunday School were continued on Monday, when Mr. W. J. Bray, Senior Steward, presided over a large gathering. This was the annual public meeting, and in connection with it was a continuation of the recognition the newly-appointed Superintendent Minister, the Rev. John Moffatt, who has come to Exeter from Falmouth.

19 September 1913

The Messiah

There was a good muster at the first rehearsal of The Messiah, the newly amalgamated Exeter Oratorio and the Exeter Choral Societies at the Atheneum on Tuesday. Mr. Allan Allen, the chorus master, conducted the rehearsal.

Horse drowned

An alarming incident occurred on the Exeter Canal bank on Monday. About 11.15, Mr. Joseph Icke, dairyman, of Regent-street, St Thomas, stopped his horse and trap on the Exeter Canal banks, near Cotfield-street, in order to open the gate. While he went to open the gate, the animal commenced backing, and although Mr. Icke seized its head, it backed into the canal and was drowned.

Literature lecture

Professor Moulton entertained a larger audience of University Extension Students and others at the Royal Albert Memorial, Exeter, on Monday afternoon, with a deeply interesting lecture on the "worlds literature."

The Messiah

There was a good muster at the first rehearsal of “The Messiah," by the newly amalgamated Exeter Oratorio and the Exeter Choral Societies at the Athenaeum on Tuesday. Mr. Allan Allen, the chorus master, conducted the rehearsal.

26 September 1913

Brush Makers' strike

As result of a disagreement of rate wages, Exeter brush makers came out strike Saturday. There are about thirty men involved, and they claim that Exeter is the lowest paid town the West England. Their demand that the same rate as at Plymouth and Bristol shall be paid. Most of the men belong to the Union.

Joseph's dreamcoat

The ancient Biblical story Joseph and his eleven envious brothers was told at the Exeter Salvation Temple on Tuesday in quite an original and realistic manner. It was illustrated by a series of scenes, named Corn Egypt, and for more than a couple of hours a large number of people were afforded enjoyable entertainment. All the familiar scenes and incidents were narrated.

Scouts on manoeuvres

On Saturday, Scouts of the Exeter district had practice, which consisted of an attack which was defended by the Alphington and Ide, St. Thomas and St-David's troops. The attackers under Dr. Adkins were St. Leonard's, Heavitree, Exeter, St. Matthew's and St. Paul's, and these moved off from Bedford Circus at 2.50. The operations lasted for close upon four hours.


3 October 1913

Freedom of the City

At the Mayor's Court on Wednesday, J. G. Setter, aged 30, bootmaker, of Cowick-street, was admitted to the freedom of the city by heirship in succession to his late father, John Setter, who was admitted in 1877.

Bravery award

At Exeter Mayor's Court on Wednesday warehouseman named William Henry Bamsey, of Holloway-street, was presented by his Worship with the Royal Humane Society's vellum certificate, for on the morning the 31st July, saving the life Percy Victor Langdon aged two years, who was playing on the Quay, near the junction of the mill leat with the river, when he fell in, and was carried, by the current, fifteen feet from the bank.


About eleven Friday morning the inhabitants in the neighbourhood of Holloway-street, the Friars, and Mount Radford were alarmed at what they thought be an earthquake. There was a loud report, which shook the houses, smashing the glass of windows, upsetting articles of furniture, and lifting people off their feet. Inhabitants in the Cathedral Yard, Southernhay, and Mount Radford clearly heard it, but the residents of Melbourne-street and the Topsham-road had the worst experience. Householders ran into the street to ascertain the cause of the disturbance, but some time elapsed before they could discover what had happened. It transpired that an explosion had occurred at the Septic Tank Sewage Works (ed - at Belle Isle) belonging to the City Council. At the first the wildest rumours were circulated. It was said that two men had been killed, and several injured, and that the Sewage Works had been destroyed. Happily things were not as bad. The explosion was caused by sewer gas, but only one man was severely injured. A considerable number of windows were broken.

Horses travel by train

Early travellers at Queen-street Station, Exeter, on Sunday morning were entertained by the arrival, on the way to Plymouth, of a train containing nearly one hundred horses that had been used in connection with the army manoeuvres of last weak. They were a fine looking lot of animals. No sooner did the train stop that the stable boys trooped out of the coach at the rear, and each man ran along the platform to look at and see that all was well with the particular horse of which he had charge. This task ended, the men enjoyed hot cups of coffee which were provided on the platform. They were an orderly merry party, and thoroughly enjoyed the brief opportunity stretching their legs and relieving the monotony of the long journey they were taking.

17 October 1913

Brushmakers still on strike

On Monday Exeter brushmakers entered on the fourth week of their strike, but it is understood that the only point at issue now between them and the masters is in regard to the employment of women.

Dog collects on trains

Swindon's hospital dog, "Bruce," which is well known at local carnivals as a collector, has been remarkably successful this summer. He has travelled 1,252 miles by rail, and in the course of his travels has collected for the hospitals a sum of £54 4s. 11d., bringing the total for his work to date to the excellent sum of £482 11s. 5d.

7 November 1913

Five salmon

On Friday last, Mr. Brearley, North-street, Exeter, accompanied by Mr. Smale, caught five salmon weighing 62lbs

Farthing breakfasts

‘W. B.,’ Newton Abbot, has forwarded 57 farthings for the Exeter Farthing Breakfast Fund.

Brushmakers' meeting

A meeting in connection with the brushmakers' strike in Exeter was held in Bedford Circus last evening. The meeting was arranged in order to enlist the sympathy of the working men in Exeter, and make, known exactly why the brush-makers had adopted the "down tools" attitude. Addresses were given Mr. A. Seaton Mr. L. C. Snell. Mr. R. Lintern. and Mr. W. D. Shears the latter the Chairman the Exeter Branch of the Brushmakers' Union.

14 November 1913

Bakery fire

Exeter Fire Brigade was called to a fire which broke out about five o'clock on Tuesday among the machinery at Mr. King's bakery in the Cathedral Yard. Huge volumes cf smoke from the chimney soon filled the yard and reached into High-street. The firemen, however, quickly got outbreak under control, and no serious damage was done.

Exeter City Supporters Club

A meeting of the Exeter City Supporters' Club was held St. James's Park last evening, with Mr. Geo. Rice in the Chair. It was mentioned that another boxing contest would take place at the Queen's Hall early next month, but definite arrangements had yet been made in regard to the contestants who would take part. The last social evening promoted the Supporters' Club, it was mentioned, yielded a profit about £3. A badge of new design was submitted and approved.

Another oil steamship

Much relief was felt amongst the officials connected with the Exeter Canal at the arrival on Monday of the oil-driven steamship "Innistrawbull" of Ardrossan, with 300 tons of pig iron for Messrs. Willey and Co. The steamer, which was a fortnight overdue, experienced terrible weather throughout, being practically under water since leaving. She had frequently run for shelter, and was obliged to remain some days at Fishguard. This is the second oil-driven vessel which has come to the City. She is a sister-ship of the “Innisshannon," the first oil-driven boat which has used the Exeter Canal.

21 November 1913

Engines crash

Between six and seven Monday two engines collided the higher end of Queen-street Station, Exeter, both being thrown off the metals, but fortunately no personal injury was sustained.

Sparks' Annual Dinner

One the most popular Territorial events of the year at Exeter is the annual dinner of the Wessex Divisional Signal Company, on which occasion the Sparks find themselves surrounded by a number of admiring friends and comrades from other units. The party increases numbers year by year, and has now reached such dimensions that it was found necessary this time to hold the festival in the drill hall at headquarters. There was large company the annual event on Saturday, Capt. E. Varwell presiding.

28 November 1913

Men's Hostel

Exeter City Council at their meeting on Tuesday, decided to apply to the local government board for sanction to borrow money to build a men's hostel in connection with the University College, Exeter.

Ripe Raspberries

Mrs. Coombes, of the St Sidwell’s School, Exeter, picked ripe raspberries in the school gardens Saturday. The berries were as large as they are in summertime. Last Saturday three ripe strawberries were gathered in the same garden.

Aviator accident

M. Salmet, the well-known aviator, who made several flights in Devonshire, has met with his first mishap. He had flown ten thousand miles with passengers without an accident of any kind, but on Saturday, when descending at Scarborough, he ran into a tree. Neither he nor his 72 year old passenger were hurt.

The Devon and Exeter Institution

Mr F. Morris Drake, author of “The History of Stained Glass," has performed a graceful service in writing "A Hundred Years with the Devon and Exeter Institution," and centenary year is the present one. The institution was first located in a few rooms in a house opposite St Martin's-lane, and which was probably removed on the creation of Queen Street. It is difficult in these days to realise what the organisation meant to our forefathers before the arrival of the public libraries, cheap printing, and so forth. The proprietors of the Devon and Exeter Institution did splendid work in the purchase of books which are now of great value. They had a good income, and they spent it well.

12 December 1913

Brave Postman

We understand that the courageous acts of Postman Guppy and Youlden in saving the life of a man off Exe Bridge, has been recognised by the Royal Humane Society, and they will shortly be presented with the Bronze Medal.

Swimming races

The preliminary heats of the Old Challenge Cup for swimming were decided at the Baths last week. The final race was held yesterday, and the result lay between T. Underhill, H. Pack. D. Taylor, and J. Burns. The Bath Superintendent acted as starter. The boys of the upper classes were present to witness the struggle, and shouted encouragement to their friends. The race was keen and close. J. Burns finishing the 100 yards first in 1min. 50secs. H. Pack was a close second, and D. Tayler third. Burns was the winner last year. He holds the Silver Cup for a year, and receives a silver medal, the gift of Mr. W. Graf, an Old Minter.

Friday 19 December 1913

Information Bureau

At the Exeter City Council on Wednesday a letter from the Exeter Information Bureau, asking that the Bureau be as a municipal undertaking was, on the motion of Mr. Widgery, seconded by Mr Campion, referred to the Finance Committee.

Poor children charity

At the Exeter Police Court on Wednesday, a distribution of boots and clothing took place in connection with the Chief Constable of Exeter's Fund which is raised for the benefit of the poor children the city. Thirty-seven families were relieved, and about 85 children fitted out.

School prizes

The Mayor and Mayoress (Mr. and Mrs. W. Kendall King) and the Sheriff and Mrs. Shirley" Steale-Perkins distributed prizes to the scholars of St. Sidweil's Boys' and Girls' Schools at the Queen's Hall, Exeter, last evening. There was a crowded attendance, and a musical programme was rendered with considerable taste.

Episcopal School Exhibition

As customary on the eve of the break-up for the Christmas holidays, there was an exhibition of pupils' work and an entertainment on Wednesday at the Episcopal Modern School for Girls at Exeter. A large number of parents and friends accepted the invitation of the head mistress {Miss Headridge) and the Governors to be present.

Museum attendant retires

Visitors to the Exeter Museum will shortly miss a familiar figure in the person of Mr. John Dicker. For the last nineteen years Mr. Dicker has courteously discharged the duties of college attendant, and he now retiring from the post. As a recognition of his services, a presentation was made to him at the Museum, Wednesday, behalf of the members and college staff, by Principal Clayden, of a case of pipes, a tobacco jar, and a quantity of tobacco.

Death of violinist

Widespread regret will felt at the announcement of the death of Miss Violet Shapcott, a well-known Exeter violinist. who passed away the house her father, at St. Cecilia, Pennsylvania, on Monday, at the age of 24. About two months ago her health suddenly broke down, and under medical advice she gave all her professional work, and stayed for a time at Beer, near Seaton, in the hope that the rest and change would restore her. Unfortunately, the seeds of her ailment had already made serious inroads on her constitution, and she became weaker, and had to be conveyed home in a motor, as it was felt that she was not strong enough for a railway journey. Despite the unremitting attention of Dr. Periera, she gradually sank.

26 December 1913

Christmas at the hospital

No matter what the conditions may be like outside, the inside of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital never presents anything but a bright and cheerful appearance and no effort is spared the Matron (Miss Smale) and her assistant (Miss Browne) and the members of the staff to make the lot of the patients as enjoyable as possible, although force of circumstances must, in many circumstances, debar them from participating to the full in the arrangements made for their special benefit. The entrance lobby was ingeniously treated with paper festoons and vary coloured artificial flowers, and the effect produced by the switching on of the many-hued electric lights was entrancing. The whole of the wards, too, were charmingly decorated by the ward sisters and nurses. The Summerhayes Ward was attended to under the supervision of Sister Hutty: Dawson, Sister Gibbs; Dean Clarke, Sister Jackson; Newcourt, Sister Hawll; Creswell, Sister Jones; Radford. Sister Martin; and Bowring, Sister Phillips. On Christmas Eve the hearts of the patients were cheered by the singing of Miss Trefusis’s carol party, and by the merry music of the hand bell ringers sent by Miss Bickersteth. There were three services yesterday, conducted by the Chaplain in the Hospital Chapel, and the convalescent patients were permitted to visit each other in the different wards. The special fare included poultry, game, plum pudding, dessert, etc., while the children were provided with oranges, crackers and sweets. To-day there is be entertainment in the new wing, to which, each patient to be allowed to invite a friend. To-morrow a similar event will take place. The children's "day" has been fixed for Monday, when a Christmas tree will divested of its multifarious load, and presents will be handed to the little ones.

The City Workhouse Christmas

An enjoyable time was spent by the inmates of the Exeter workhouse, and the usual numerous sympathetic friends sent seasonable gifts. The Master and Matron (Mr and Mrs FC Norrish), who are ever ready to make the inmates happy, superintended the decorations, which were very effective, and, judging by the smiling faces of old and young alike, their efforts were heartily appreciated. In the morning a Communion service was held in the Chapel, which was prettily decorated, followed followed by a choral service and a short address by the Chaplain (the Rev. W. W. Preedy). Later the Infirmary was visited, and tea and sugar were distributed to the women, and tobacco to the men.

27 December 1913

A very pleasing ceremony has taken place at the St. Thomas Boys' School, when the respected Head Master (Mr. W. G. Hodge) was presented with a silver-plated tantalus and a case of pipes by the past and present members of the staff, commemoration of his having completed 21 years' service as Head Master of the School.

Cruelty to cow

The Exeter Magistrates on Friday had before them a case which lasted some considerable time, and which it was alleged there had been cruelty to a cow while the animal was suffering from a broken leg.— William Whiddon, of King William-terrace, was summoned for permitting a cow to conveyed in such a manner as to cause it suffering through failing to exercise reasonable care and supervision on December 5th, and, further, with causing unnecessary suffering to the cow by unreasonably omitting to provide proper and necessary care and attention on December 5th and 6th. George Bidder, Pinhoe, aged 17, was summoned for conveying the cow in such a manner as to cause it unnecessary suffering, and also for causing unnecessary suffering to the cow by unreasonably omitting to provide proper care, on December 5th and 6th. It was shown that the cow, which had a broken leg, was bought by Whiddon for 15s, and removed in a float, in which it was left all night.— After a private consultation the Magistrates decided to convict Whiddon, and the Chairman said there was a callousness about his conduct which might have been more from want of thought than heart. The fine would be 10s inclusive, and the Magistrates thought that all parties concerned should never have allowed the cow to leave the farm alive, although such things were, perhaps, often done. Bidder was discharged.

Top of Page