Loading
FBJoin the Exeter Memories Group Page

Contact EMail

Free Download plus Buy Books and Downloads
New - Exeter Pubs by David Cornforth.
Help fund Exeter Memories

Buynow

Exeter Pub List

Last update 8th January 2014

Page 1 - A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z

Pub - Hotel Name previous names

Street and area

Evidence of existence, notes and date closed

Acland Hotel/Arms/Tavern
Turks Head
Mail Coach

Sidwell Street

Site of Acland ArmsEvidence suggests an inn called the Mail Coach was on this site in the 18th century, indicating that it was situated on the all important road to Bath. Between 1799 and 1812 it was known as the Turk's Head before becoming the Acland Tavern. It was known as Lisson's Acland Arms, when in 1839 'About 100 loyal and patriotic Conservatives partook of a substantial and well-served repast, ... ' It had a large function room which was used when meetings where expected to be well attended. It was the last pub in Exeter to brew its own beer, before it was lost in the 1942 blitz. The site then was used for many years as the forecourt of Eveleigh's Garage. It is now a 24 hour convenience store. It takes its name from the Acland family of Killerton House. The white building is the Acland Arms with the Duke of York on the next corner.

Acorn Inn/Tavern
see Judge Jefferies

Magdalen Street

Site of the Acorn InnPre-dating 1822, this small inn located in a row of shops issued tokens in the 19th Century. It was demolished for road widening, and rebuilt as Acorn Inn in May 1966. The car on the right in the photo is the approximate position of the original Acorn Inn while the new Acorn Inn is the building behind.  See Judge Jefferies

Adelphi Hotel

High Street - corner of Castle Street

The earliest reference to Gifford's Adelphi Hotel is 1884 when an advert promoted its real turtle soup. In 1866, Mr Gifford ran a hotel in Exmouth. It was sold to Mr Clements in 1896. The hotel underwent a refit in 1897 when some £600 to £700 was spent on decoration, including carvings by the firm of Harry Hems. Also in March 1897, an advert by the proprietor Mr G C Clements, offered 'Luncheon, Dining, and Supper Rooms.... and .... Dock Glass 4d'. The fire-brigade was called to the Adelphi Hotel in June 1900 to douse a fire. When they arrived they discovered that a carelessly discarded match had set fire to some shavings in the fireplace, igniting some soot. It was closed by 1926 according to an Express & Echo article.

Admiral Inn
Admiral Wine Bar
Admiral Vernon Tavern
Vernon's Head 1784

Alphington

See Admiral Vernon for a full history

Albion Private Hotel and wine vault

24 Southernhay

The earliest entry in the Flying Post for the Albion Hotel is in November 1838, when the associated wine and spirit vault had a sale of sherry and old port.  In 1844, there was a series of adverts for Neale's Albion Private Hotel with 'Lock-up Coach Houses and Good Stabling'. By 1846, the wine and spirit vaults were advertised as adjoining the Theatre Royal, which was just around the corner, making No 24 a corner house; they provided 'Bass's India Pale Ale, London and Dublin Stout, Champaigne Ale'

The first crack in Neale's business fortunes appears, in March 1847, when he advertised a billiard table for sale with a valuation of £100. In December of the same year, the hotel was an agent for tickets for the theatre and by the next March the lessee of the theatre gave the hotel as his address - "Mr. W H Maddocks, Albion Hotel". The last mention was in June 1848 when a to let notice for the hotel appeared 'including a splendid billiard table and wine and spirit vaults adjoining the theatre'. The hotel is still listed in Whites with Neale in charge in the 1850 White's directory, so it either retained Neale's name, or he didn't find a lessee. In the 1856 Exeter Pocket Journal there is F D L Hirtzel, wine and spirit merchant listed in Southernhay, and by 1878, Hirtzel and Bowden at 25 Southernhay. No 24 Southernhay is not listed, so presumably there has been a renumbering.

Albion Inn

Gandy Street

See Coolings WIne Bar below

Albion P.H.

Fore Street

Listed in the Kelly's 1894/5 directory and last listed 1901 - now a shop on the corner of Bartholomew Street. Albion is derived from the word 'white', and was the Roman name for England - also used as a name for a warship.

Allhallows New Inn

Bartholomew Street

Its only listing was in 1822 - listed 1833 by the City Brewery with John Richards in residence as fee simple (he owned it). It was noted that it was in the pig market.

Alma Inn

King Street

Only listing 1856 - fate unknown. The name may be biblical in origin - Alma in Hebrew means virgin.

Amber Rooms 2003
Pi 2002
Printers Pie 1982
Greyhound Hotel 1956

Sidwell Street

See Amber Rooms for a full history

Anchor & Hope

WQ Butchers Row

Only listing 1816 - fate unknown.

Anchor Inn

Paul Street, corner of Maddocks Row

First listed in 1816, last listed 1897.  In May 1906, the City Council agreed to purchase for £300, the Anchor Inn for road widening. The Golden Eagle was also purchased. The name Anchor has both an ecclesiastical and heraldic origin

Anchor Tavern/Inn

Castle Square

First listed 1816, and last listed 1859. Mentioned by AER - fate unknown.

Anchor Tavern/Inn

Exe Island

Barcelona HotelFrom 1782 onwards, the inn annually celebrated Lord Rodney's victory over the French. The landlord had his son christened George Rodney to honour his hero - it was listed in 1816 with its last listing 1923 - since demolished.

Anchor
Anchor & Boddice 1816

Alphington Street

First listed in 1816 as Anchor & Boddice listed 1923. Devon and Cornwall notes and queries mentions an Anchor and Boddice on the Quay..

Angel Inn

Smythen Street

Its only listing was 1859, fate unknown, since demolished. The name is derived from the Angel that appeared to the Blessed Virgin. Many inns with this name were connected with friaries.

Angel ph
see Commercial Inn

Waterbeer Street

In September 1814 a fire recorded at inn, the stables, brewhouse, and the outhouses were destroyed. The report noted that the premises had "been on fire three times within the space of twelve months." The building must have been repaired as it was listed in an 1816 directory. The Flying Post reported a change of name to the Commercial Inn in June 1823. In 1826, it was reported that an old sign for the Angle Inn had been found which stated "The Angel Inn, kept by Phillip Raddon" and "With Raddon's home-brewed be merry and wise, Healthy on earth, unoffending the skies."

Angel Inn

Lower North Street

This inn was one of several in North Street that were used as a stopping point for folk from north of Exeter who were travelling to market. It is not known when it closed, although the building may have been demolished when Toby's Court was demolished in the early 1960's.

Angel

Queen Street

Its only listing was 1859 - fate unknown. Not thought to have connections with the Angel below.

The Angel

32 Queen Street

See The Angel for a fuller history

Antelope Tavern

Holloway Street

The first to let notice appeared in February 1872 for the Antelope Inn, Holloway Street. In May of the same year the licence was transferred from John Palmer to Samuel Newberry of Ashburton. Then in May 1877 the licence was transferred to John Bearne. First listed in a directory in 1878 as a tailor and beerhouse, last listed 1933 - not listed in 1936, therefore probably closed. The Antelope is associated with the House of Lancaster.

Antelope Tavern
Morning Star

Sidwell Street

Antelope Inn
The Antelope Inn existed in the middle of the 18th-century and may have been older. In May 1804 it was for sale with the landlord James Croad. An auction was held in the August, for what had become the New Antelope Inn. James Croad died in May 1808 and his widow continued to run the inn. The inn was for let in February 1812; it was probable that this was when Daniel Ross became landlord. Ross died in January 1822 after a long illness. In 1849 there was a County Court dispute between Harris and Boucher, in which the Antelope Inn was mentioned. In 1870 Charles Baskerville the landlord, was summoned for allowing gaming in his house, was found guilty, and fined 20s. The inn was for let in April 1878 "dwelling house, smithery, yard and large range of store attached having a coach entrance" It seems to have disappeared after this date.

Morning Star - on the same site
This public house had been in existence for some time when the license was transferred from Thomas Chattey to Mr George in 1889. In August 1891 the license was transferred from Thomas Lister to Frank Shooter Jn. (son of Hero of the Exe) Shooter transferred the license to Mr George Warmington in 1893. In the same year there was a case at the Guildhall, of drunken soldiers, that involved the Morning Star.

Seamus O'Donnels 2009
Artful Dodger 1980
John Bull Inn 1895
beerhouse circa 1860

Red Cow Village

See Artful Dodger for a full history

Artillery Arms/Tavern/Inn
Royal Artillery Arms

Holloway Street

See Artillery Inn

Axminster Inn/Tavern
Maltscoop

Paris Street

The Axminster Inn was at the bottom of Paris street in the TRIANGLE which was behind Eaton Place. First listed in 1822, in 1911 it became a Norman & Pring, City Brewery freehold. It was flooded and closed in September 1955, demolished 1964 for road widening.

Baker's Arms
aka Bakery Arms

Mary Arches Street aka St Mary Arches Lane

Two adverts appeared in 1807 in the Flying Post for this tavern with a brewhouse and cellar. The first in January was a 'For Sale' stating the occupancy of one Henry Sweet, the second a 'To Let', again with Sweet in occupancy.

Barcelona (Hotel)

Magdalen Street

Barcelona HotelThe building dates to 1910 as an eye infirmary, opened as a hotel in 2000, still trading.

Barley Mow Inn

Buddle Lane

Barley Mow InnOpened in October 1963 and named after the former Barley Mansion. The bricks were deliberately matched with the local housing, as though anyone would notice. Still trading.

Barley Mow Inn

Cowick Street

Mentioned in a voting advert, May 1816. First listed in 1816 in St Thomas's Street, last listed 1850 - fate unknown. This traditional name was the sign of a brewer.

Barnstaple Inn

Lower North Street

The earliest mention of the Barnstaple Inn was in April 1765 in the London Chronicle; this was just at the time when the Exeter (1753) and Barnstaple (1760) turnpike trusts were founded. It was again mentioned  in Brice's Old Exeter Journal in August 1791 as the venue for a creditors meeting (D&CN&Q). Trewman's Exeter Flying Post mentioned it in 1794. It was first listed in a directory in 1796. The Barnstaple Inn was an important terminus for the Exeter to Barnstaple Mail Coach. William Harding purchased the inn on 10th June 1820 and from 1830, malted at the inn. It passed to his son and as Harding and Richards, built St Anne's Well Brewery behind the inn in 1878. It was last listed in 1967 before becoming a DIY shop. It was burnt down in 1970. The site has been rebuilt and has an entrance into the former brewery and courtyard, which has been converted for residential use. The Iron Bridge railing has traces of a footbridge that crossed Lower North Street to enter the Barnstaple Inn at first floor level.

Bart's Tavern
Merry Monk Tavern 1987
Bart's Tavern
Exeter Arms Inn/Tavern

Bartholomew Street

site of the acorn innFirst listed in 1816, this house was by the pig market. An advert from July 1819 for information about a stolen or stray horse from Thorverton, gives the contact as Mr John Howard, Exeter Arms Exeter. The 25 year old, Aaron Cohen from Amsterdam, while staying at Howards, Exeter Arms, cut his own throat witha table knife, during March 1824. Medical aid promptly arrived, and the wound was sewn up, although fears were expressed for his recovery. In January the next year, the death of John Howard was announced. The house again appears, this time in Robson's Directory of Devon, 1839 of James Bedford as land lord. Listed in 1972 as Bart's Tavern. Changed its name twice, now closed and converted into apartments.

Bear Inn

South Street / Bear Street

See Bear Inn for a full history

Bear Inn 1816
College Kitchen 1767

South Street

The Flying Post advertised the College Kitchen in 1767, For Let "near Little Stile, now in Possession of George Hill, Victualler". It was part of the College of the Vicars, and first listed in 1822 as the Bear. It was still referred to as the College Kitchen in 1833, with William H Smith in residence, and 16 years left on the lease. Three rooms adjoining were let to tenants. It was last listed in 1871 and was demolished the same year. A photograph exists of the demolition.

Beavis' Tavern

Broadgate - outer

Mentioned 1447/9 when John Shillingford, the Mayor complained of "the ungodly carriage of suspicious men and women, divers night walkers and rioters, priests and others" who entered the tavern at night - fate unknown.

Bedford Arms

Catherine Street

In 1716 it was recorded that the inn was behind the New Inn - ref AER. It next appeared in the Flying Post in 1834 with a notice to its debtors and creditors, so presumably it closed then. The name is derived from Lord Russell, the Duke of Bedford who had connections with the city.

Bell Inn

St Edmund's - Exe Island 1569

This inn was in existence on Exe Island in 1569 according to Jenkins - fate unknown. Early inns that were built near to a church were often named the Bell in association.

Bell Tavern

Alphington

It was known as the Old Bell or Burgoynes, and situated on the Chudleigh Road, in an 1849 conveyancing deed to Richard Loram. Described as a tenement, it was mortgaged and sublet through the early part of the 19th Century from the Courtenays. It would seem that it had ceased being an inn at some date before 1820. In 1844 it was tenanted by Thomas Langsford and on 1870 by William Loram, farmer and victualler. In September 1881 Hussey's conducted a clearance sale for William Loram and a new lease on 29 September 1881 was agreed with William J Richards. Census records show it was renamed the Admiral Vernon. William Loram moved to Brooklands according to the 1883 Kellys.

Belle Taverne

South Street (Bell Hill)

The tavern was mentioned in 1447/9 - fate unknown. In 1764 John Bown left the Bell Inn near the Serge-Market, for the White Hart Inn. This Belle may be named after Belle Hill.

Bishop Blaize

Commercial Road

See Bishop Blaize for a full history.

Bishop Blaize
St Blazius

Sidwell Street

The Flying Post announced it to be sold to auction in June 1790. Another announcement in 1807 mentions the sale of a house, formerly the Bishop Blaize. Bishop Blaize is the patron saint of wool workers.

Black Boy Tavern

Blackboy Road

Took its name from Charles II nickname - no longer trading

Black Dog Tavern

5 Lower North Street
next the Northgate

Record of a deed of sale from May 1658 by Richard Martin, Esq to Elizabeth Flay, a half acre plot "on which was a messuage called the Black Dog, lately consumed by fire". It was also for sale in 1798. First listed in a directory in 1816. There is evidence of the inn being rebuilt by Benjamin Bright, possibly in the early 19th Century when it was one of several inns that served the North Devon coach trade. Part of the inn was sold in 1835 to the Exeter Improvement Commission in preparation for the building of the Iron Bridge. In  December 1852, Mr William Wills offers the Black Dog Inn for sale, with sitting rooms, bar, bedrooms, stables, sheds and enclosed skittle alley.

Edward Turner of the Black Dog married Emma David in 1860. By 1864, Turner was owner of the Artillery Arms, Holloway Street which was for sale and prospective purchasers should apply to the Black Dog. The Black Dog was used as a meeting place for various organisations including the Exeter Just Doing Society in 1871, and in 1877, the Loyal Bickham Lodge No 4700 Odd Fellows Society. Edward Turner died at the age of 72 in August 1874. By 1891, the landlord Edwin Glade had the contract to supply the Exeter Regatta Committee with refreshments, and in 1892, Glade, was granted an occasional licence for the Head Weir bathing ground, whenever there was a swimming match taking place.

A new lantern was hoisted outside the Black Dog in 1897, with the comment 'warmth and comfort which is welcome enough on these nipping nights'. It had its licence taken away in 1923 by the City Brewster Sessions, and was closed.

Black Dog

Holloway Street

The only listing is from 1822 - fate unknown.

Black Horse

Longbrook Street

See Black Horse for a full history.

Black Horse Inn
Pack Horse Inn (before 1815)

South Street

In 1678, the innkeeper, one John Barnes, a religious man, fell into debt, and was executed for robbing £600 from the Exeter carrier at Honiton Hill. The St Annes Well Brewery records indicate that it had been formerly known as the Pack Horse Inn before 1816, when it came into the possession of Harding and Richards - first listed in 1830, and last listed in 1919, the pub issued tokens in the 19th Century under John Brice - it was closed in 1919.

Black Horse Tap
part of the Black Horse
Longbrook Street

New North Road

The only listing was in 1878. It was situated in the back lane into the Black Horse, probably the lane to the left of the Theatre Royal and would have been a standing only space, with a sawdust covered floor, for serving beer.

Black Lion Inn
Black Lyons

South Street, by serge market

It was probably an ecclesiastical residence, the Black Lions was the venue for a cloth sale in 1776 - first listed in 1816. Benjamin Donn's 1765 map of Exeter clearly shows the Black Lyon on the south-west side of South Street, opposite the modern Sacred Heart Church. It suffered a fire in 1873 in which it was feared three died - the next edition of the Flying Post announced that the victims had been found. It must have been rebuilt, as records show it was closed in 1924, after the City Brewster Seesions refused to renew its licence..

Blacking Vaults

High Street

Its only listing was in 1923 - fate unknown.

Blackmoor's Head P.H.
alt Black-a-Moor's

WQ Upper West Street

Black-a-Moor'sA 1715 advert for was for "stout, Ale & beer without doors for Two pence per quart, and in his house for Three pence per Quart" - listed in 1816, Ref GP states that Fireman's Arms is the same, although I believe him to be wrong. Last listed 1923. The premises of the Black-a-Moor, centre building, next to St Mary Steps were still in existence in 1960 when the photo was taken. Photo Dick Passmore.

Blacksmiths' Arms

n/k

Evidence of its existence is from a token dated 1668, with the name John Saunders on the reverse, as the innkeeper.

Blue Anchor

Exe Island

It was the venue for a property sale in 1817 and 1823. First listed in 1833 in an inventory of the City Brewery, with Edmund Foster as landlord for a term of 99 years. It was also mentioned in a City Brewery inventory of 1844.

Blue Anchor

High Street - near Gandy Street

On Midsummers Night, 1669, there was a fire at the Blue Anchor stables that almost spread through the city - "...a grievous fire in the stable belonging to the house commonly called the Blue Anchor in the High Street of the said city, near St Luce's Lane there, which consumed several stables with their appurtenances, one horse and divers swine & endangered the dwellings of the neighbourhood, nay the whole city..." Izacke - fate unknown. Note that St Luce's Lane was Gandy Street.

Blue Anchor

Paul St aka St Paul Street

Two Flying Post 'for sale' adverts in February and November 1799 appeared.

Blue Ball Inn

Chute Street

This opened as a beer house in 1862. In April 1863, Mr Cotton Acutt applied for a license as a beer house for the premises. In September 1864, Mr Acutt applied for a spirit license.

Blue Ball Inn

Exe Lane

The earliest mention in the Exeter Flying Post was in November 1805. The landlord named Thomas Osborne, his wife, brother and others were apprehended after a spate of thefts through the previous 12 months were traced to the inn, and a large cache of stolen goods found. Bags of malt, household furniture, bedlinen and clothing were amongst the items found on the premise. On 5 December 1805, a notice appeared in the Flying Post asking that Osborne and his brother be apprehended for the thefts - clearly they were on the run. A 'for sale' notice appeared in the Flying Post in 1806. There are no other refrences to the inn.

Blue Ball Inn

Sandygate

Blue Ball Inn, SandygateThis house was often listed in Heavitree, although it was out at Sandygate. The present owners claim it is a 17th Century building. It was the venue for a sale of land in May 1809. An April 1830 notice in a local paper advertises a wrestling match at the inn, with a prize of forty pounds. The advert stated "... will be played, in TWO DAYS, by a select Number of the Best Wrestlers, in a Spacious Ring, at the BLUE BALL INN, in the parish of Heavitree." The landlord at the time was the aptly named Mr John Barrell. In 1834, the inn was the venue for an inquest into a fatal accident. Mr William Matthews was killed when he was run over by a wagon - he had delivered a load of barley, for his master, to a maltster in Topsham. After, he frequented the Nelson public house in Topsham and consumed three tumblers of rum, becoming quite inebriated. On his journey home, he was run over by his own waggon. He was taken to the Blue Ball and found to have three broken ribs and internal injuries, from which he died. The verdict was "Accidental Death, with a deodand of £5 on the waggon and horse." In other words, the owner had to pay the deodand or forfeit the waggon and horses to the crown. The inn is still trading, offering a bar and restaurant..

Blue Boar's Head /Tavern

Magdalen Street

Mentioned by Hooker as the "signe of the bore". Mentioned in advert in Flying Post - October 1793. First listed in 1816. Name became Blue Boar Inn by August 1859. 

Jonathan Carter the landlord in 1861 was declared bankrupt - he applies to be allowed to continue his business so that stock can be sold at retail prices not wholesale. Also that plant and equipment be retained for sale to the next tenant. His Honour agreed to allow the Inn to remain open in the circumstances. The business never recovered from this and in 1865, it was the venue for a building materials sale (may have been due to demolition) and was not heard of again. The site was adjacent to the Hotel Barcelona. 

Blue Boy Inn

Edmond Street

A For Sale notice appeared in the Flying Post in May 1800. First listed in a directory in 1816. It was used for an inquest in November 1862, for a death by drowning. The house was transferred to Ellen Pritchard. In 1904, the City Council Sanitation Committee was checking the Blue Boy on a regular basis as it was registered as a Common Lodging House by George Taylor. George Morris ran the house from 1911 until his death in 1918 in the Great War. He and then his wife also ran the Old Teignmouth Inn and a tofferie shop, all in Edmund Street.

Boat House Inn

St Leonards

A for sale notice appeared in the Flying Post in January 1853. Could this be the early name of the Port Royal?

Bombadier Inn

Holloway Street

Only listing in a directory was in 1816. As it precedes the earliest date of the Artillery Inn, could it be the same premises?

Bonds Vaults

Cowick Street

Only listing 1923, fate unknown.

Boot Inn

n/k

The only reference is a To Let notice in the Flying Post in Febrauary 1779.

Bowling Green 1987
Ropemakers Arms

Blackboy Road

See Bowling Green for a full history.

Brewer's Arms aka
Labour in Vain

Preston Street aka
First Back Lane

In August 1845 the Brewers Arms (aka Labour in Vain) had Loveys William as landlord. Mentioned in the Flying Post in 1846 according to A E Richardson the last editor and a To Let notice in the Flying Post in 1847. Joshua Lawton, the landlord was summoned by Mr Fildew a bookseller for the nuisance of drunkenness and prostitution in August 1849. Lawton was fined 20 s and 17s 6d expenses.

In November 1849 a case involving the house was reported again as "The Labour in Vain Beer House Once More." The report went on "This beer house has become celebrated in police annals." It was kept at the time by Joshua Lawton who defended it against alleged fighting and prostitution. He was found guilty, fined £10 and he forfeited his licence. One known derivation of this name is displayed on the sign - it shows a black-boy being washed to make him white - they weren't so politically correct in former times.

It would appear that the house was also known as the Brewers Arms for in October 1849. Lawton was mentioned as the keeper of the Brewer's Arms who had been imprisoned for keeping a disorderly house. His wife was prosecuted for attempting to smuggle tobacco into the prison, for which she was sent to prison for fourteen days.

Bridge Inn

Bridge Hill Topsham

See Bridge Inn for a full history.

Bristol Inn

Sidwell Street

In 1696 it was mentioned in will of John Gandy. The Flying Post in 1783 recounts the death of the landlord and the continuation of the business by his widow, Elizabeth Penney. In April 1874, a letter in the Flying Post mentioned this inn - it stated that the Bristol Inn was on the site of the Subscription Rooms, with an entrance in High Street and London Inn Square. When the Subscription Rooms were built, the license and inn were removed to 'the house adjoining Mr England's the butcher' Mr Pridham, was landlord in both inns. However, a notice in the Flying Post of May 1813, does not quite match the memory of the letter writer for "Joseph Pridham, who has for several years past kept the Horse and Groom public house.... begs to inform his friends and the public that he has taken and entered on the Bristol Inn, lately and for many years kept by Mr Edward Bowden, deceased" (FP).

A M Pratt advertised that her premises had undergone 'extensive alterations' in 1841. By 1859, the keeper, Mr Batten was charged with being open after 12 midnight - the case was discharged. In 1872, Mr Carthew removed from the Golden Lion, Newtown to the Bristol Inn in 1872., and the license transferred to his wife on his death in 1877. In 1942, it was lost in the blitz.

Britannia Inn/Tavern

South Street

It was the venue for a sale in 1806 according to the Flying Post. First listed in 1816, it became popular with Army recruiting sergeants - get drunk and get enlisted!. It closed on the 24th March 1916 on the grounds that it was 'not necessary for the needs of the neighbourhood'. The owners, St Anne's Well Brewery requested £1,637 17s 6d compensation.

Brook Green /Tavern

Well Street

site of the acorn innThe earliest reference to Brook Green was the sale of a house in a newly built Brook Green Terrace adjoining Well Street. The first reference to a tavern, in the Flying Post, was September 1855 when Mr Skinner was fined 2s 6d for opening after 11pm., and two years later Mr and Mrs Skinner were in trouble for using abusive language. In 1892, the licence was temporarily transferred from Mrs Skinner to Mr Harry Leslie Clark of St Annes Well Brewery. The tavern was advertised for auction in 1899 and in March 1900, the new landlord Mr Snow hosted a gathering for Private E Frost who was leaving for the front in the Boer War. A new lounge was opened in 1962.

Bryghtelegh Ys Inne

Bartholomew Street

Mentioned in a 1452 lease between the Dean & Chapter and William Gothyll, land containing the Bryghtelegh ys Inne "with a garden", in the All Hallows on the Wall area of Bartholomew Street, ref Dymond - fate unknown.

Buckerell Lodge

Topsham Road

site of the acorn innBuilt as a private house in 1842 by George Truscott on 5 acres of the Buckerell Estate that dates from 1200. Immediately before it became a hotel in the 1930's it belonged to a Miss Reid. In late 2008, Folio Hotels, the company owning the Buckerell Lodege went into administration, threatening the hotel with closure. A management buyout took place in January 2009. The four star rated hotel recently underwent a £1.5 million refurbishment and now has 54 rooms.

Bude Barl 1948
Bude Hotel 1878
Bude Haven Hotel 1848
Old London Inn 1797
London Inn - to 1797
Londonsyn (uncertain)

Sidwell Street

See Bude Hotel for a full history.

Bull Inn
aka Taylor's Hall

Goldsmith Street

The earliest reference I have found to the Bull is a notice for the carrier Daniel Gordon, who was to move 'from the Bull in Goldsmith-Lane, Exon to the Turk's-Head by the Guildhall' in a February 1721 issue of Andrew Brice's Post-master. First listed in a directory in 1796. In July 1862, the license was transferred from Francis Langdon to William Govior, formerly of the Admiral Vernon, Alphington. Closed November 1947 ref GP. One past landlord, between 1927 and 1934 was George Shelton, a retired Exeter City footballer. The Bull is associated with the Guild of Butchers, and a heraldic device.

Bull

Magdalen Street

Mentioned in 1487 when it was bequethed to John Palmer to support Almshouses. A 1530 lease from the Mayor and Corporation, granted Thomas and Alice White a meadow "the east and south parts of a hospice called le Bull" - the meadow is now known as Bull Meadow, placing the inn in this area - fate unknown.

Buller's Arms

Alphington Road

Bullers Arms, Alphington StA notice in the Flying Post for January 1793 mentions the landlord leaving. In 1817, it suffered a fire in the brewhouse. First listed in 1830, last listed 1967 and demolished in January 1970 EE. In May 1868, the license was transferred from Samuel Connybear to John Connybear. The Buller Arms applied for permission from the Council, in January 1904, to put up a sign that said "Motor Accommodation". This is the earliest reference I have found of a pub catering for users of these new fangled horseless carriages. The Council approved the sign on 23rd March 1904. The Various Buller's Arms in Exeter are often said to be named after General Buller. However, if you look at their dates of opening, they were all named after his father, James Wentworth Buller, MP for Exeter or his grandfather, also an MP. General Buller was born in 1839. Photo courtesy of Alan Mazonowicz.

Maltster's Arms 1841
Buller's Arms 1844

Exwick

The first reference to a beer-house in one of the brick and cob thatched cottages next to the paper mill was in October 1830 when a for sale advert in the Western Times appeared – ".. and lately in the occupation of Mr. Dandy – Part of the premises has been used for a public Brewery, & part occupied as a Dwelling-house.". On the same site the Bullers Arms was listed in 1844 with Philip Coneybeer as the landlord and blacksmith. However, Philip Cooneybeer is listed in the 1841 census as a blackmith at the Maltsters' Arms; it is likely they were the same premises. By 1857, John Coneybeer, probably a son or brother was listed as victualler and blacksmith. The inn was mentioned in 1872, when a pigeon match was held opposite. It closed in July 1890 when the licence was revoked for breaking the public house opening hours on five different occasions. It became nos 14 & 16, St Andrews Road which was let to J Blackmore. First listed in 1844, last listed 1889.

Buller's Arms

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1816, last listed in 1897, it closed after 1910. Under the Hele's as landlords, it issued tokens in the 19th Century - listed in 1923 as Yeo & Davey Garage.

Buller's Arms ph

Bartholomew Yard

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Butchers' Arms

WQ Butchers Row / Market Street

A For Sale notice appeared in the Flying Post in November 1793. First listed in 1816, last listed in 1859. Mentioned as in Market Street in 1844 bet AER - fate unknown.

Rococco
Mosaic
Butler
Firkin 1991
Tavern in the Town
White Lion 1967
White Ball
Golden Ball

Mary Arches Street

See Rococco

Bystock Inn

Bartholomew Street

There was a sale of goods at the Bystock Inn in January 1848 according to the Flying Post - the household goods of Mr Keys, was for sale under "distress for rent". 

Canteen Tavern

Cavalry Barracks

Army run inn, first listed in 1856. Date from 1794, not known when it closed.

Canteen Tavern

Topsham Barracks

Army run inn, shows in brewery inventory of 1844. The license was transferred from James Hopper to Colour-Sergeant Blanchard in May 1868..

Carpenters' Arms

WQ Coombe Street

First listed in 1816 listed 1828 - listed in the City Brewery inventory of with a Mrs Morrish as landlady with a residue of a 1000 year lease. The premises included a cellar under the adjoining house.

Castle Hotel

Castle Street

site of the acorn innMentioned in 1848 ref Flying Post - listed 1889, lost in 1942 blitz. Said to be former dwelling house of the Castle Governor. The photo shows the shop on the site of the Castle Hotel.

Castle Inn

Fore Street

Only listing 1822, fate unknown.

Castle Inn

South Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Cat Sheaf inn

not known

There was a voluntary settlement between William Preston of the Cat Sheaf Inn Exeter, and Henry Cockram malster, and Anna Maria Cockram on the 31 August 1875. (DRO) This is the only reference so far.

Cattle Market Inn

Bonhay Road

The Flying Post has a report from 1842 of a burglary at the Cattle Market Inn. It also had a To Let notice in 1844. First listed in 1844 and last listed in 1967 - closed September 1968 and demolished for road widening.

Cavern Club
Pig & Truffle

Queen Street

See Cavern Club for a history.

Centrifugal Railway Hotel

Sidwell Street

Mentioned in police report January 1857 - first listed in 1859, when it was referred to, in the same year as the Centrifugal Inn run by Merewether. There was a case of stealing lead from Henry Peacock in March 1869, who owned the house known as the Centrifugal Railway Inn, in St Sidwells. The premises were listed in 1878 with an ironmongers assistant living at that address.

Chaucers Inn

High Street

site of the acorn innOpened in the basement of C & A. Although the style appears to be old, the premises date back to 1989.

Las Iguanos
Pitcher and Piano
Chumleys Bar
  de Paula Sports Shop
JJ Norman & Ellery Ltd
St Anne's Well Brewery
Harding & Richards

Queen Street and Little Paul Street

See Las Iguanos

Church House Inn

Heavitree

1516 - ref EE, fate unknown.

City Arms P.H.

WQ Stepcote Hill

First listed in 1859, and in the same year it was reported that the daughter of the landlord had died. Last listed in 1923 - demolished when the West Quarter was cleared in the late 1920's and early 30's. Situated half way up the hill, on the left hand side.

City Arms 1845
City Tavern 1812

Gandy Street

The Flying Post published an advert for the City Tavern in 1812. Another advert in 1815 Flying Post gave notice of a new innkeeper, fate unknown.

City Commercial

Queen Street

First listed in 1889, listed1894/5 - fate unknown.

City Tavern

South Street

The Flying Post recorded this tavern in an advert printed during 1817.

City Gate Hotel 1997
Crown and Sceptre

Ironbridge

See City Gate for a full history.

City of Exeter Wine Stores

Fore Street

Only listing 1889, fate unknown.

Clifton House Hotel

Newtown

Only listing 1856, fate unknown. It is probable that this is the first entry for the Clifton Arms below.

Clifton Inn

Clifton Road

See Clifton Inn for a full history.

Coach and Horses

Sidwell Street

The Flying Post reported in 1796 that this establishment was the venue for a property sale and it appeared in the same year in a trade directory. Between 1844 and 1864 William Bicknell was the landlord. Bicknell supplied a marquee for a pigeon match in 1849, and no doubt, provided refreshments. A supper was also held there to celebrate a marriage in 1860, and in 1863, the inevitable drunken assault by a customer. 

Bicknell's Coach and Horses were for sale by auction in 1864. Two years later, and there was a sale of property at Mr James Hemen's Coach and Horses, including the public house known as the Old Coach and Horses. During the elections of November 1866 the Radicals (Liberals) used the Coach and Horses as a meeting place. The Flying Post as a Tory paper was most indignant in its editorials and would often refer to the Coach and Horses with a sarcastic phrase such as "They (Radicals) are hiding their lights under a bushel in confining themselves to the taproom of the Coach and Horses" and "... they are entitled to more respect or courtesy than they get at the Coach and Horses."

However, the Flying Post published in 1874 a To Let notice, stating the inn was in the occupation of Mr Brice. 1882, and the house hosted the Annual Supper of the London and South Western Railway Locomotive Department. By 1893, it had become Lamacraft's Coach and Horses. The house continued to host the Locomotive Department in the 1890s and added the Exeter and Devon Poultry Society.

Confusion reigns as there were three Coach and Horses (New and Old) recorded in Sidwell Street.

Fat Pig
Coachmakers' Arms

WQ Smythen Street
John Street corner

See Coachmakers' Arms for a history.

Commercial Inn 1822
Angel Inn 1816

Waterbeer Street
aka Theatre Lane

The Flying Post reported in 1822 of money and jewellery being stolen from the Commercial Inn. First listed in 1822, and last listed in 1830 - fate unknown

Commercial Inn

Fore Street, Topsham

Once situated in 6/7 Fore Street. The rent from the Commercial Inn went to a charity founded by John Shere in the 17th Century. It was listed in the 1830 Pigot's Directory with John Harrison in residence.

Commercial Tavern
Commercial & Agricultural Tavern

Fore Street

A notice appeared in 1817, in the Flying Post, that the landlord was departing to take over Kings John's Tavern in South Street. First listed in 1816 - mentioned Flying Post 1817, fate unknown. It was situated close to the Lower Market.

Coolings Wine Bar
formerly the Albion Inn

Gandy Street

site of the acorn innThe licence was transferred from John Channon to John Parsons in 1870, and from Parsons to John Yelland in 1871 and then W Parrington in the same year.
For sale in 1872. "Lot 3—All that Freehold Licensed Free Inn and Tavern, known as the Albion Inn, Gandy-street, consist ing of kitchen, offices, and cellar on basement, neatly fitted up bar, sitting-room, five bedrooms,&c. The whole is replete with grates and other fittings. This property is very centrally situated, being very near the High-street and the Queen-street Railway Station, and admirably adapted for carrying the business of an Innkeeper". Exeter and Plymouth Gazette–12 September 1872
"TO LET, at Lady-day, Free ALE and WINE HOUSE the centre of the city. Rent £20, incoming about £60.— Apply to Albion Inn, Gandy-Street, or to S H Cully, Queen-street Chambers. Western Times–11 March 1873
The next year, an application was made for an occasional licence for wine, beer and spirits when there was a wrestling match staged at the Victoria Hall, Queen Street. When the Queen's Hotel came up for sale in 1874, the Albion Inn was one of the properties included in the sale; the inn was in the occupation of Mr Heavens. The premises now house Coolings Wine Bar.

Cooper's Arms

Mary Arches Street

A To Let notice appeared in the Flying Post in December 1809 for the Cooper's Arms.

Corn Exchange Hotel and Agricultural Tavern

13 Market Street

A To let notice appeared in the Flying Post in 1830. In March 1845, George Lang Veysey announced that he was taking on the establishment. Twenty years later there was an auction held for a dwelling house at Balkwill's Corn Exchange Hotel. In 1874, the innkeeper was still Robert Balkwill. The hotel was regularly used for auctions and sales,

Cornish Chough

WQ Preston Street

In 1558 the Cornish Chough "...was afire. An order was taken that every man of ability, every corporation and the chamber of the city should have a certain number of leather buckets provided as also ladders and crooks for the same purpose but little was done" Izacke.

There was a later reference in 1576 when Queen Elizabeth granted a letter patent to Anthony Kynwelmarshe of Gray's Inn; this document gave property in various parts of the country to Kynwelmarshe, including Tuckers Hall with the associated property of the Le Cornish Chough in Preston Street. The last mention of Le Cornish Choffe was when a lease drawn up on 28 June 1581, for 50 years expired at Midsummer 1632.

The Cornish Chough is a bird that is associated with the mythical King Arthur - however, 'chough' is a Middle English word (1100 to 1500).

Country House Inn

Catherine Street

This public house originally had a malthouse attached. It was first listed in 1816. Its lease was purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commisioners for £225 by the City Brewery. The freehold was purchased in 1887 for £1,000. It became in 1911, a N&P house. During the 19th Century it issued brass tokens made by Seage. The building was reputed to be 500 years old, on the site of the Annuellers College, it was destroyed in the 1942 blitz. N&P sold the site to ECC for £8,000 in 1955. The licence was transferred to the John Bull Inn.

Country House Inn

Topsham Road
South Wonford

site of the acorn innFirst listed in 1816, its last listing was in the 1972 Kellys. The pub closed for business in late 2007, and demolished for housing in 2013.

Courtenay Arms

Mary Arches Street

First listed in 1851 listed 1897. Located at number 47, adjacent to the side street that leads to the Synagogue. Building lost.

Cowick Barton

Cowick Lane

See Cowick Barton for a history.

Cowley Bridge Inn
New Inn 1756

Cowley Bridge Road

See Cowley Bridge Inn for a history.

Crawford Hotel

Alphington Road

See Crawford Hotel for a history.

Crediton Inn

Paul Street, corner of North Street

First listed in a 1816 directory – closed June 1913.
Some 19th-century reports from the Flying Post at the Crediton Inn:
February 1837 - Mr Way the landlord died age 64.
October 1855 - License transferred from John Kidwell to John White Slade.
February 1863 - Son of William and Maria Dicker, Edward Thomas 17 months died.
October 1870 - A branch of the Rational Sick Society opened a new branch at the inn - about 20 names were signed as members.
August 1891 - The license was transferred to Osmond Dicker, son of the late landlady.
May 1897 - Ross and Pidsley purchased the Freehold and let the inn to Harry Morris and a sale was held of the Brewing Plant.
February 1900 - Richard Bencellick was summoned for being drunk and disorderly. He was fined 20s and costs or a month in prison.

Cricklepit Arms

Stepcote Hill

The use of the Crickepit Arms as a Common Lodging House in 1904, had been discontinued, as the Rev J H Boudier had left the city. This is the only reference to the establishment I have found.

Criterion

Waterbeer Street

The first mention of the Criterion in Waterbeer Street was in February 1889, when it was mentioned that a little girl named Chamberlain of the Criterion Inn had been knocked over by a butcher's cart. The house was used for auctioning a dwelling house in February 1891, and then in August 1893, the licence was transferred from Mr J Walron to Mrs Sophia Beer, formerly of the Golden Lion Inn, Market Street. The last mention of the inn in the 19th-Century was in February 1899 when an inquest was held there into the death of the baby son of the landlord, Mr Patton.

Cross Keys

Catherine Street, technically inside Cathedral Yard

Earliest reference is a 1715 for let advert in Protestant Weekly, and a February 1716 to let notice in the Exeter Mercury. Its only listing in a directory was in 1816. Cross Keys are the emblem of St Peter.

Crown and Anchor Inn

Clifton Road

First listed in 1879 as beerhouse, listed 1923, 1942 blitzed. The Crown symbolises crown property and the Anchor is the church.

Crown and Anchor

Quay Gate

First listed in 1816 listed 1850 - ceased trading.

Custom House
Cornish Arms 1822
The Three Mariners 1816

Quay Lane "without the Water Gate"

site of the acorn innKnown as the Three Mariners in 1796, still listed 1816 as Three Mariners when the inn keeper was also a wagon master. Listed in 1830 as the Custom House. In 1927, the tenants, Reginald Charles Roberts, Arthur Webber and Mrs Roberts were renovating the property when they undermined the city wall, causing a landslide which demolished a large part of the inn. St Anne's Well brewery sued the trio for £4,000 damages - site became a shop for a short time. The photo shows the gap in the wall from the collapse in 1927.

The Devil upon Dun

Catherine Street

A deed of conveyance from 1837 claimed it formerly as an inn, granted to George Tuthill in the time of Charles II, with a cellar and one stable. The lease was for 999 years at an annual rent of £26. Fate unknown..

Devon Yeoman

Beacon Lane

site of the acorn innThe Devon Yeoman was built for Symmonds brewery, who had two other pubs in city, the Chevalier (Hoggs Head)  and Elmfield (Jolly Porter). It was built to serve the new estates along Beacon Lane in the 1960's. First listed in kelly's in 1967, and still trading.

Devonshire Arms Tavern

Stephen's Street aka Stephen's Row

Devonshire ArmsMentioned in the records of St Anne's Well Brewery of 1816 when it was purchased by Harding and Richards. It was noted that it was bounded on one side by the premises of the former New Inn. 

In April 1849, a fire started in the house of poulterer Thomas Sanders which spread to coach builder, John H Sellars' premises. The fire brigade fought the flames preventing it spreading further. Greens, the Half Moon and Love's Devonshire Arms, among others, were all at risk. Four years later, and another fire at Green's slightly damaged the house. The death of Mr Love, who was one of the oldest innkeepers in the city occurred in 1856. By 1860, it was Down's Devonshire Arms. The pub was associated, for many years, with the Devon Rifles under its next landlord, Samuel Pearse, who was a Private with the Exeter Division of the First Devon Rifles. The first meeting of the Exeter Division of the Rifles at the house was in 1864. Pearse applied in 1879 for an occasional license for a Volunteer meeting at Newcourt, Topsham. It seems to have been the venue of choice when Sergeant Shorto of No 2 Company, the First Rifle Volunteers, was given a presentation on the occasion of his marriage.

Samuel Pearse also provided refreshments for the Exeter Swimming Matches in 1878, and hosted meetings of the Exeter Licensed Victuallers' Protection Society in 1881. Pearse left the house for London and died in 1890. There were two changes of landlord, one from Mr J Brown to Mr G Furneaux in 1897, and from Mr Furneaux to Mr G Smyth in 1898. By 1913, Sydney Cole was landlord, when he placed an advert in a Conservative & Unionist Fete Programme to be held at Franklyn House in 1913 - the picture is from the advert (note St Stevens Bow extreme left).

The house occupied premises in Stephens Row, that were part of the New Inn, High Street. Bobby's which occupied the New Inn and most of the block was destroyed in the May 1942 blitz. The site is occupied by St Stephen's House, and would have been on the side of Catherine's Square.

Devonshire Arms

Newtown

1844 ref Flying Post, fate unknown.

Dolphin Inn

Preston Street, corner of Market Street

See Dolphin Inn below.

Dolphin Inn 2006
Tap & Barrel 1991
Dolphin Inn 1930's

Burnthouse Lane

See Dolphin Inn for a full history.

Double Locks Hotel

Canal Bank

See Double Locks for a full history.

Dove Inn 1844
Lamb & Flag

South Street - above George's Chapel

First listed in 1816, and last listed as the Lamb & Flag in 1828.. It was first listed in 1844 as the Dove.. The renewal of its license was refused in February 1903 and it closed. Lamb and Flag is a Templars sign.

Drakes
Western Union
South Western
London and South Western

Fore Street Topsham

See Drakes for a full history.

Duke of Monmouth

Monmouth St Topsham

First listed in 1878 listed 1897.

Duke of Wellington

WQ West Quarter

Only listing 1822 demolished.

Duke of York Tavern

Sidwell Street

See Duke of York for a full history.

Duke of York

WQ Coombe Street

First listed in 1816 listed 1923 - since demolished.

Dunsford Inn

Cowick Street

First listed in 1816 listed 1822 - Flying Post records 1824.

Page 1 -  A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z


This list is as complete as I can make it - new establishments and data will be added when found. All dates are the earliest or latest that I have seen - many pubs are older than indicated by the trade directories or the date I have researched. Current pub count 470. Some pubs may be duplicates - it is not always possible to trace name changes.

If you know any other information or have a photo of a pub please email me. This list has been compiled from hundreds of hours of research - use of small extracts in other websites and publications is prohibited unless there is a clear acknowledgement to Exeter Memories and David Cornforth of the material.

Note on sources - the sources for this section are the various trade directories, plus books by Robert Dymond, W G Hoskins, Maryanne Kowaleski, Robert Newton, Todd Gray, Hazel Harvey, Thomas/Warren, Stanton and Todd, Andrews, Elston and Shiel, John Willing, Chips Barber and the Exeter City Council history website. The Express & Echo, Woolmers Exeter Gazette  and Trewman's Exeter Flying Post archives at the West Country Studies Library including the notes of A E Richards, and maps including tithe and insurance at the Records Office were all invaluable. Geoffrey Prings History of the Exe Island and City Brewery. With thanks to Robin Quant and Alan Mazonowicz.

Top of Page